How to be a good BYC citizen

Pics
I haven't made enough posts for GF, but neither have I run out of the 50 pics yet either.

Thanks for your help Imp.
big_smile.png

Hi to Everyone!

I am new to raising chickens and am learning so much about them and growing to enjoy having them. I have been reading up on the issues I have been challenged with. I adopted a small flock from a friend who didn't have time for them anymore, which included a few different breeds. Not sure what they all are but they look like Easter Eggers, Maran Rooster, leghorn hens, silver-laced wyandotte (maybe 2 of those)...anyways, I have 6 full grown hens and 1 rooster in a small coop right now. A few weeks after she gave us those she gave us 6 chicks which she had incubated herself from the same flock. I raised those and they are now 7 months old. I moved them out to a small coop next to the bigger one with the other ones in it. In my ignorance and bad coop design in the beginning, I lost 4 of the chicks (2 roosters, 2 hens) and now have only 2 left to add to my bigger group. The problem I am having is one is another Maran Rooster and the hen is a leghorn. My daughter wants the rooster and I am not quite sure how I am going to safely integrate the hen into the old group???? Right now, I put the two coops together so that they can go between both, but, as you know, this is not working for the "new rooster" and the "ole one" and I feel terrible getting rid of the rooster right now and causing the single hen to be all alone. Such a predicament and I am at a loss at what to do. Any ideas for this newbie?
Thanks so much for the warm welcomes, I am looking forward to learning more and more from everyone!

Traci Shafer
"Love my chickens"
smile.png
smile.png

I am new to the forum and already addicted! I began this spring as a chicken hobby farmer and I love it. Lost my flock and became very sad!! Thanks to this site I am expecting a new flock tomorrow. I will post along the way and share my experience.
smile.png

Hi!

I have been lurking on the BYC site for some months now reading and learning. Been researching other sites, farm blogs and the like reading and learning. I have been sitting outside for hours at a time watching my chickens, reading them and learning and now decided to register so I can be a part of this.

Got into the chickens due to two boys being in 4H...which also explains the 7 rabbits we have as well.

From what I have been reading and seeing on BYC since April, when my little peeps first got to us, everyone here seems to be friendly and helpful. It does suck to just jump in and post when you are still an egg.

One thing that my chickens have taught me...shoe laces are an invitation to a foot attack! Just ask my kids!!!!

CCW

I don't know what number y'all are on but... to be a good BYC citizen, you just gotta behave. Like your mamma and grandmama are sitting right next to you. Or better yet, like you are talking to your mamma and grandmama.
And if you are rude to or in front of your mamma and grandmamma- SHAME ON YOU, and I hope your chickens poop big ole smelly broody poos on you- After they bite you really hard!

Don't worry- my mamma and grandmamma would laugh and agree !

Easy, peasy! Simple as a stuffed duck!

Back
Top Bottom