How to become a chicken breeder

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
Hello I would like to get a few breeder quality silkies and I would like to become a breeder and be npip certified but how could I do this without wanting to keep the baby's? Do u breed and sell them to people no matter the age? How much do u charge for all ages of ur birds? I might have more questions then once I can think of some more and once a few of these are answered but any ways I will be building a breeding pen for 1 silkie rooster and 5 Silkie hens I chose this breed because I have seen lots of people looking to buy silkies in a and a few are in central pa and I can't seem to find a silkie breeder in central pa so I would like to breed these cute fluffy calm little things. All answers are welcome thanks

Here are some links to threads specifically pertaining to Silkies.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/690632/silkie-breeding-genetics-showing
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048544/chicken-breed-focus-silkie
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread
And here is the link to the breeders club.
http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/

Before deciding to breed Silkies, first you need to familiarize yourself with the breed and the breed standard. Find a mentor. Learn as much about them as possible. Silkies are readily available from most hatcheries and feed stores. They aren't hard to obtain, so you aren't likely to make much money. But good quality birds are harder to come by. Get yourself good stock. Work to breed your birds to meet the breed standard. You can sell your birds at any point. Some customers prefer to buy day olds. Others prefer to get their chicks once they no longer need supplemental heat. Some want started pullets that are close to laying age.
Regardless, you need a plan for those that don't sell, especially the young cockerels. And you need to be prepared to deal with chicks passing.
If your aim is to hatch a ton of chicks, and sell them all; and not breeding, keeping, and raising show quality birds; just don't. There are already a bunch of hatcheries turning out poor quality birds by the hundreds.

Okay, I'm going to bring up the elephant in the room. Exactly WHY do you want to breed chickens, specifically Silkies? Because they're cute? So are daddy long legged spiders to some people, so that's not a good reason. Because you know a lot about chickens? I know a lot about submarines, but that doesn't make me qualified to run one. To make money? Any good, reputable breeder of anything from dogs to ducks can tell you that if you are doing it right - absolutely, totally right - you'll be lucky to break even.

I love it when young people become enthusiastic about things, especially when it's something that is a bit out of the usual for someone their ages. So the last thing I'd want to do is throw cold water on your joy in planning this. But that's the problem. You haven't really planned this. You decided, then you made all of your answers fit your idea of how things are done. Good people with a lot more experience than I have in the world of chickens have given you extremely good advice, pointed you in good directions, and asked you questions aimed at making you think. But every time they do, you have a fast, short, "I know what I'm doing" answer. But you don't. It's been suggested that you join a Silkie club or at the very least buy some breed specific literature. You don't want to do that either. You aren't even familiar with the most basic terms used...you want Npip certification but don't know what that is. You want to breed show quality but don't know what the SOP is. You want to buy show quality but you don't know a 4-H show from a Grange show.

So here's a compromise for you. Get your coop and run built. Either find a breeder close to you (one you can describe with more answers than "I don't know" and one who is proud to share photos of his/her setup and birds) or order some Silkies from a hatchery. Raise them successfully. If you'd like to hatch a few backyard Silkie chicks, go for it and love every minute of it. But don't set yourself up for disappointment before you even start. Every kid needs a dream and a chance. Having two disabled granddaughters, I know that all too well. But slooowww down. Learn first! You don't graduate from high school, walk into a multi million dollar company and demand to start your working career as the CEO - you have to work your way up to it! These are living, breathing creatures who deserve the best we can provide for them, not instant projects we can discard when things don't go our way.

So many super people on here will bend over backwards to mentor you - to guide you - to give you every bit of encouragement and help they can. Let them. Learn from them. And in less time than you even realize, you'll be the one folks will go to for answers. You could even become the go-to expert on all things Silkie! That will happen if you keep this enthusiasm and determination you've shown going. But if you dive in too quickly and it doesn't all work the way you think it will, I'm afraid you'll give up, and I'd sure hate to see that happen!

Okay. This is part of what we meant by do your research first. You need to know where you want to go with breeding BEFORE you buy a bunch of birds and start hatching chicks. The last thing that Silkies, as a breed, need is another person breeding willy-nilly. Learn first. Research. Read. Go to APA shows. Talk to reputable breeders. Join the breed club. Join the APA. Make connections. Get some good stock. Then start breeding. It takes work, effort, and dedication to be a breeder.

No but since it is only two hours away I am not worried plus I am going to see if I can get younger birds so they won't be fully grown or they will just be babys but I am not getting adult birds unless I absolutely have to and plus my cousins boy friend works over at the belevel sale just over the mountain from me and he said he could see if there is any over they and see if they are show quailty
Does he know what qualifies as a show quality Silkie? Why on earth would you want to start with chicks? You can't tell if a bird is show quality as a chick. You just can't. There are just too many things that aren't apparent when a bird is young. Build, feather quality, and skin pigment are important features that can change as a bird matures. With an adult, you will know for sure that you are getting show quality. Sure adults cost a bit more, but in the long run, it's a better use of your time and money.

Well when I call tomarrow I am going to give them my email and have them send me a few pics of there best stock and see what u guys think

This is a good sign that you realize we are trying to make sure that someone with a bunch of junky chickens isn't just trying to take your money and run ! Just because someone tells you they are a "Breeder" does not mean that they know anything at all about what breeding show quality chickens. We really do wish you all of the luck in the world with your dreams. But, read Blooie's post very carefully, she is a very wise woman!

Bad quality silkies are a dime a dozen. If you seriously want to get into breeding you need to start with the best birds you can get. Look into local APA/ABA shows and get to know good breeders. Get a copy of the ABA SOP, or the APA SOP. There are many varieties of silkies out there so decide which one you want to concentrate on.

Junebuggena has listed some good links for you to check out. She also points out an important part of breeding - you need a plan to deal with excess birds (cockerels mostly). The fact is there will never be enough homes for every male hatched each year no matter how nice they are. You need a plan in place to deal with them.

When you sell them is personal preference. Some sell hatching eggs, chicks of various ages and/or started birds. For me, I will only sell cull pullets for layer flocks, and started birds for those interested in breeding. Excess males, and sometimes pullets, end up in the freezer. Everyone is different. You have to decide what your goal is.

Back
Top Bottom