How to become a chicken breeder

Yes well I am not old enough to drive yet but I know my chicken stuff so I am really ready to do this I have a website to use to sell my stuff I am going to be npip certified and would u think that the grange fair would be a good place to go and talk to Silkie breeders they have chicken shows and contest I might be able to find someone there but I already am positive the place I am going to be getting them from will ship and they have show quality stock so I can't wait

Yes well I am not old enough to drive yet but I know my chicken stuff so I am really ready to do this I have a website to use to sell my stuff I am going to be npip certified and would u think that the grange fair would be a good place to go and talk to Silkie breeders they have chicken shows and contest I might be able to find someone there but I already am positive the place I am going to be getting them from will ship and they have show quality stock so I can't wait
Is it a 4-H show? Those types of shows aren't the best places to find good examples of breeds or serious breeders. You need to connect with serious breeders.

http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Pennsylvania.html

Did they tell you how much it will cost to ship chickens?

No but since it is only two hours away I am not worried plus I am going to see if I can get younger birds so they won't be fully grown or they will just be babys but I am not getting adult birds unless I absolutely have to and plus my cousins boy friend works over at the belevel sale just over the mountain from me and he said he could see if there is any over they and see if they are show quailty

Acquiring mature birds is a far better option. They will have made it through several culls already.

You may want to slow down a bit. You stated on another thread that you don't even have a coop and run set up for them yet. You want to be NPIP certified but have yet to find out exactly what that entails, as far as how your state testing goes, possible record keeping, or your state's rules in general. If you slow down you can get that coop and secure run set up. You can become a member of the APA and/or ABA and acquire a copy of the Standard of Perfection. Read up on the silkie standard as well as all the valuable information at the beginning of the book. Research breeders and see which ones have the traits you want. Talk to some of them, online of necessary, on what is really involved in breeding birds to the SOP. See if that is something you truly want to do.

Okay, I'm going to bring up the elephant in the room. Exactly WHY do you want to breed chickens, specifically Silkies? Because they're cute? So are daddy long legged spiders to some people, so that's not a good reason. Because you know a lot about chickens? I know a lot about submarines, but that doesn't make me qualified to run one. To make money? Any good, reputable breeder of anything from dogs to ducks can tell you that if you are doing it right - absolutely, totally right - you'll be lucky to break even.

I love it when young people become enthusiastic about things, especially when it's something that is a bit out of the usual for someone their ages. So the last thing I'd want to do is throw cold water on your joy in planning this. But that's the problem. You haven't really planned this. You decided, then you made all of your answers fit your idea of how things are done. Good people with a lot more experience than I have in the world of chickens have given you extremely good advice, pointed you in good directions, and asked you questions aimed at making you think. But every time they do, you have a fast, short, "I know what I'm doing" answer. But you don't. It's been suggested that you join a Silkie club or at the very least buy some breed specific literature. You don't want to do that either. You aren't even familiar with the most basic terms used...you want Npip certification but don't know what that is. You want to breed show quality but don't know what the SOP is. You want to buy show quality but you don't know a 4-H show from a Grange show.

So here's a compromise for you. Get your coop and run built. Either find a breeder close to you (one you can describe with more answers than "I don't know" and one who is proud to share photos of his/her setup and birds) or order some Silkies from a hatchery. Raise them successfully. If you'd like to hatch a few backyard Silkie chicks, go for it and love every minute of it. But don't set yourself up for disappointment before you even start. Every kid needs a dream and a chance. Having two disabled granddaughters, I know that all too well. But slooowww down. Learn first! You don't graduate from high school, walk into a multi million dollar company and demand to start your working career as the CEO - you have to work your way up to it! These are living, breathing creatures who deserve the best we can provide for them, not instant projects we can discard when things don't go our way.

So many super people on here will bend over backwards to mentor you - to guide you - to give you every bit of encouragement and help they can. Let them. Learn from them. And in less time than you even realize, you'll be the one folks will go to for answers. You could even become the go-to expert on all things Silkie! That will happen if you keep this enthusiasm and determination you've shown going. But if you dive in too quickly and it doesn't all work the way you think it will, I'm afraid you'll give up, and I'd sure hate to see that happen!

No but since it is only two hours away I am not worried plus I am going to see if I can get younger birds so they won't be fully grown or they will just be babys but I am not getting adult birds unless I absolutely have to and plus my cousins boy friend works over at the belevel sale just over the mountain from me and he said he could see if there is any over they and see if they are show quailty
Does he know what qualifies as a show quality Silkie? Why on earth would you want to start with chicks? You can't tell if a bird is show quality as a chick. You just can't. There are just too many things that aren't apparent when a bird is young. Build, feather quality, and skin pigment are important features that can change as a bird matures. With an adult, you will know for sure that you are getting show quality. Sure adults cost a bit more, but in the long run, it's a better use of your time and money.

Back
Top Bottom