How to bond with peafowl? Tips needed:)

htg722

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Hi! I got my first peacock two days ago . He is 10 months old and has been very calm and chill since the moment I got him. He is a good boy ! I think there is potential he will let me pet him ! I sit with him and bring treats and talk to him softly and he seems to like it. Starting to move closer to me and loves to eyeball his treat dish at what I have brought him. He is so cool!!

Hello, and congratulations on your new friend!
clap.gif
We love to see photos here!

You might find this article by our wonderful member @MinxFox useful:
http://www.bamboopeacock.com/Taming_Peafowl.html
In fact, her whole website is full of useful information.

And of course...

Hi! I got my first peacock two days ago . He is 10 months old and has been very calm and chill since the moment I got him. He is a good boy ! I think there is potential he will let me pet him ! I sit with him and bring treats and talk to him softly and he seems to like it. Starting to move closer to me and loves to eyeball his treat dish at what I have brought him. He is so cool!!
Treats and them imprinting are the easiest bonds there are. To imprint it requires them to still be a chick and dependent on a parent figure.

It sounds like you are doing the right things to get him tame. I have 3 peafowl here that let me pet them, but I raised them all up from peachicks so I was handling them a lot when they were easy to hold and then as they got bigger I made sure to pet them and show them that it is nice to be pet. The other peafowl I have see me pet the tame ones but they still don't think it is a good idea to let me try and pet them. I guess the hand raised ones have better trust in me.

Keep giving him treats and maybe he will let you pet him.
smile.png

Thank you . Day 3 and he is warming up little by little. Walking a little closer to me checking out my handful of goodies. Sugar snap peas, a boiled egg and peanuts. He doesn't seem to be a fraidy cat.. a very chilled out bird! Thanks guys

Jumping in a little late to the party but if you really want them tame I would wait until they are a few weeks old to start really bonding with them and to try and raise them in groups. The reason being is often times when a male bird is raised from chickhood without other broodmates, they can become very aggressive towards people because they think people are peacocks. It doesn't happen with every bird but it is something to consider

Back
Top Bottom