How to Break a Broody Hen

Pics
I've had a broody hen in a wire cage, no bedding, elevated with a couple bricks for eleven days and she is still broody - stays fluffed up even in the cage. This is third time in about 4 months she has gone broody. Each time I have used the cage method she was broken of it in four days but not this time. The only difference has been that this time I kept the cage in a detached garage rather than in the coop itself. What else can I do? I even caught the broody behavior sooner this time than in the past! Very frustrating and not good for the hen. Any advice appreciated.

Buy fertile eggs for her & let her hatch them?
hu.gif

I did that once -she was very happy and a good mom.
You can make $ selling day old chicks.

I've had a broody hen in a wire cage, no bedding, elevated with a couple bricks for eleven days and she is still broody - stays fluffed up even in the cage. This is third time in about 4 months she has gone broody. Each time I have used the cage method she was broken of it in four days but not this time. The only difference has been that this time I kept the cage in a detached garage rather than in the coop itself. What else can I do? I even caught the broody behavior sooner this time than in the past! Very frustrating and not good for the hen. Any advice appreciated.

Broke my SLW after 5 days with the wire crating system and now one of my BO is in "broody jail" I have heard this could also help knock an aggressive head hen down the todum pole a few notches too after a week or 2 away from the flock

I was going to set up a broody prison but before I went to that work, I decided to try another tip I read somewhere at BYC. My broody gal is a black Australorpe, sweet and friendly and a good layer. But she went broody last year for a couple of weeks and eventually it just ended. This time I was becoming alarmed. She was SO weak, looked dehydrated, wouldn't eat even if I stood right in front of her in her nesting box and offered her the tastiest morsels. Oh, we have no rooster, and I removed the wooden eggs from both nests and made sure I gathered any eggs from underneath her promptly. Poor thing, all that maternal instinct and nothing whatsoever could she ever show for it. Anyway, what I did was fill a washtub with cool fresh water. I took Clifford Robinson (yes, that's her name--one of my son's favorite retired NBA players) out and I DUNKED her straight under in that cold water. Once, twice, three times. Didn't hold her under, just down/up, like getting baptized. Well, let me tell you, she was..... well, madder than a wet hen! Squawked and shook and ran away from me very fast...and she's been out all day now with the 3 others. Oh, yesterday when I lifted her out, my New Hampshire took after her and was horribly cruel; wouldn't let her get a BITE of sunflower seeds, kept pecking her and chasing her. I guess because poor Clifford was so weak. None of that today so far. SO. One more thing to try.

I was going to set up a broody prison but before I went to that work, I decided to try another tip I read somewhere at BYC. My broody gal is a black Australorpe, sweet and friendly and a good layer. But she went broody last year for a couple of weeks and eventually it just ended. This time I was becoming alarmed. She was SO weak, looked dehydrated, wouldn't eat even if I stood right in front of her in her nesting box and offered her the tastiest morsels. Oh, we have no rooster, and I removed the wooden eggs from both nests and made sure I gathered any eggs from underneath her promptly. Poor thing, all that maternal instinct and nothing whatsoever could she ever show for it. Anyway, what I did was fill a washtub with cool fresh water. I took Clifford Robinson (yes, that's her name--one of my son's favorite retired NBA players) out and I DUNKED her straight under in that cold water. Once, twice, three times. Didn't hold her under, just down/up, like getting baptized. Well, let me tell you, she was..... well, madder than a wet hen! Squawked and shook and ran away from me very fast...and she's been out all day now with the 3 others. Oh, yesterday when I lifted her out, my New Hampshire took after her and was horribly cruel; wouldn't let her get a BITE of sunflower seeds, kept pecking her and chasing her. I guess because poor Clifford was so weak. None of that today so far.  SO. One more thing to try. 
Really? I wouldn't do that. Seems cruel. The cage worked great for me.

3 weeks an4 days later she is back in broody!! GGRRRRRRRRRR is this normal? IS she giong to have to spend one week a month in prison?

Some hens have stronger urges to brood than others. I've had some who only went broody once in their entire lives, others who go broody once or twice a year, and a few who will want to brood several times a year. With these super-broodies it's better to switch than fight this strong instinct. Set them up with eggs to hatch (and then sell/give away the chicks after she's done with them) or trade them for a better egg-producer. A lot of folks would love to have a reliable broody hen.

My 9 month old Speckled Sussex just went broody for the first time a few days ago. I noticed because she was in the nesting box for several hours one afternoon and then the next morning when I let the girls out she was in the nesting box again. Up until a couple of days ago I would see her out in the yard for a little while to eat and drink but now I have to coax her out with some treats. She hasn't stopped laying so I don't know if it's time to put her in a broody cage yet. My main concern is to keep her from getting dehydrated or malnourished. She couldn't have picked a worse time for this because I'm going out of town tomorrow and will be gone for a week. Luckily my husband will be home and will make sure she gets out a couple times a day to eat and drink.

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. I hoisted the hen in the cage from a branch for a week, bringing her down for refreshment etc. I gave out before she did. But I did like your article so I wanted to write and say so.
Now I shall ring round friends with hens and see if anyone wants to borrow a broody - and sod's law says the day after I get a bite she will stop being broody.

Another question though. I have been taking away the eggs she has persuaded her mates to lay in 'her' nest box every day, but they are very warm by mid-afternoon. Are they all right to store and eat in the normal way?
eulh

I have a broody BO and another hen was staying in the nest box also. We just built a cage and put the BO in it, she's not at all happy about it but too bad. But the thing is the other hen that was sitting with her has now rejoined the flock, I think she was keeping the broody company. Time will tell.
How will I know that the broody is ready to rejoin the flock? Will she stop being so fluffy and calm down?

Back
Top Bottom