How to break a broody.

7 hours isn't long enough to determine she is broody. Once you know if she is broody for sure, then you can go about breaking her. There are a few different ways to do this.

Is she clucking like mad when removed from the nest, looking like a huge cotton ball with her wings out? If it is just early stages of broodiness, she might not be showing many signs. Give her a couple days, then break her.
smile.png

7 hours isn't long enough to determine she is broody. Once you know if she is broody for sure, then you can go about breaking her. There are a few different ways to do this.

Is she clucking like mad when removed from the nest, looking like a huge cotton ball with her wings out? If it is just early stages of broodiness, she might not be showing many signs. Give her a couple days, then break her. :)

Yes, Nd yes.

Leave her for a day or two to see if she'll come out of it herself. If she doesn't, you have a few options for trying to break her.

The first is dunking her in a bucket of water. Just do it a couple times a day, quickly, and see if that does the trick. Also try putting ice cubes under her chest in the nest.

You could also put her in a wire cage with food and water without bedding or anything else. Make sure lots of air is coming through.

You could also just leave her there, and keep moving her out of the nest and taking eggs. It might take longer or if she is very determined, might not work at all.

Hope this helps, and you are able to break your broody hen soon!

Hah, am going thru this right now, my Black Australorps decided to go broody when she had only started laying few weeks ago. It's been 3 days that I'd been kicking her out of the nests, hopefully I don't have to cage or dunk her in the water (drastic). Last year a leghorn did the same thing and I got to snapped her out of it after few days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom