How to breed for comb type?

😂 its funny to me, because I'm trying to get rid of the pea combs!!
:gig
Yes I thought it was funny too... but your thread works in reverse for me. By the time some of my roos are 2, they don't have any combs left from frostbite. I have the whole south wall of the hoop coops as ventilation. I think the CX in their bloodline slows the blood flow to the combs.

I guess I should ask first if there is already a thread for this... But otherwise

Is there a way to breed for comb type?

I noticed even when I breed my EE's (pea comb) to my single combed roosters, majority of the time (almost all the time) the chicks still keep a pea comb, maybe a somewhat hybrid pea comb, but never a full-on single comb. At least I have yet to see it.

Anyone have any tips or pointers on how comb genetics work?
I guess I'm trying to create an EE that has a single comb.
I have 2 single combed EEs. Here's Smarty pants.
20200805_151905.jpg
I don't have pictures of the other one.

I have 2 single combed EEs. Here's Smarty pants.
View attachment 2355816I don't have pictures of the other one.
Thats so neat!

I actually have chocolate egger that has a beard and straight comb. (Even a bit of fluffy feet). Ive been hoarding her eggs and offspring just cause I love her traits. She just doesn't lay blue/green eggs. I've been lucky to have her all blue as well :)

Thats so neat!

I actually have chocolate egger that has a beard and straight comb. (Even a bit of fluffy feet). Ive been hoarding her eggs and offspring just cause I love her traits. She just doesn't lay blue/green eggs. I've been lucky to have her all blue as well :)
SmartyPants also has lightly feathered legs. She lays huge pink eggs with white speckles, & occasionally brown speckles.

Her daughter is single combed, & has lightly feathered legs too.

Just a Warning on trying to breed out the pea comb and keeping the single comb.. The Oocyan mutation(O) is closely linked to the Pea Comb by about 2-4 map units, this is very very close and it only gives you about a 4% chance of a genetic cross over(the O gene migrating and linking itself to the single comb) that means that 96% of your single comb EEs will lay Cream/pink/brown eggs.

Your best bet is to use a Line of blue eggers that have the Oocyan mutation already linked to the single comb, Cream Legbars and Blue Isbars. Otherwise you may need to breed a lot to have a chance.. Unless you are lucky and find a Single Comb EE that lays blue egg already

Just a Warning on trying to breed out the pea comb and keeping the single comb.. The Oocyan mutation(O) is closely linked to the Pea Comb by about 2-4 map units, this is very very close and it only gives you about a 4% chance of a genetic cross over(the O gene migrating and linking itself to the single comb) that means that 96% of your single comb EEs will lay Cream/pink/brown eggs.

Your best bet is to use a Line of blue eggers that have the Oocyan mutation already linked to the single comb, Cream Legbars and Blue Isbars. Otherwise you may need to breed a lot to have a chance.. Unless you are lucky and find a Single Comb EE that lays blue egg already
This is a very good point.

Having them lay blue eggs isn't entirely a must, but is a nice trait I'd like to have. Maybe in the near future I'll look for isbars like you have mentioned.
Only issue I have with Legbars, is their coloring and barring (the roosters seem to have barring).
If it wasn't for that, I'd be all over them.

I think overall color, body type, comb and other traits are more important than egg color in my little project, but I would like to reconsider the egg color part..

Back
Top Bottom