How to breed for comb type?

rascal66

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 10, 2015
Washington
I guess I should ask first if there is already a thread for this... But otherwise

Is there a way to breed for comb type?

I noticed even when I breed my EE's (pea comb) to my single combed roosters, majority of the time (almost all the time) the chicks still keep a pea comb, maybe a somewhat hybrid pea comb, but never a full-on single comb. At least I have yet to see it.

Anyone have any tips or pointers on how comb genetics work?
I guess I'm trying to create an EE that has a single comb.

I guess I should ask first if there is already a thread for this... But otherwise

Is there a way to breed for comb type?

I noticed even when I breed my EE's (pea comb) to my single combed roosters, majority of the time (almost all the time) the chicks still keep a pea comb, maybe a somewhat hybrid pea comb, but never a full-on single comb. At least I have yet to see it.

Anyone have any tips or pointers on how comb genetics work?
I guess I'm trying to create an EE that has a single comb.
Chicken Comb Genetics

Pea combs are a dominant type of comb. It only takes one copy of the pea comb to have the pea comb displayed. Single combs are recessive. You have to have two single comb genes for the single comb to be displayed. If you breed a hen with two pea comb genes to a rooster with two single comb genes, all the offspring will have one pea comb gene and one single comb gene. This comb type will look like a pea comb.

Chicken Comb Genetics

Pea combs are a dominant type of comb. It only takes one copy of the pea comb to have the pea comb displayed. Single combs are recessive. You have to have two single comb genes for the single comb to be displayed. If you breed a hen with two pea comb genes to a rooster with two single comb genes, all the offspring will have one pea comb gene and one single comb gene. This comb type will look like a pea comb.
But if you bred the offspring together would you get 50 /50 pea comb and single comb?

Chicken Comb Genetics

Thanks so much! It makes a lot of sense. But if I breed the offspring to another single comb bird, will those chicks start displaying single combs?

If you breed a pure for pea comb to a single comb then breed those offspring back to a single comb you'll average 50% single comb and 50% pea comb that carries single.
If you cross pure pea to single then breed the offspring to each other you'll average 25% pure pea, 50% pea carrying single and 25% single.

But if you bred the offspring together would you get 50 /50 pea comb and single comb?
@The Moonshiner has the correct results.

If you breed a hen with one pea comb gene and one single comb gene with a rooster that has one pea comb gene and one single comb gene, the results would be 25% with 2 pea comb genes, 50% with one pea comb gene and one single comb gene and 25% with two single comb genes.

75% of them would display a pea comb and 25% would display a single comb.

This is all based on none of them having any other comb modifying genes.

Last edited:
@The Moonshiner has the correct results.

If you breed a hen with one pea comb gene and one single comb gene with a rooster that has one pea comb gene and one single comb gene, the results would be 25% with 2 pea comb genes, 50% with one pea comb gene and one single comb gene and 25% with two single comb genes.

75% of them would display a pea comb and 25% would display a single comb.

This is all based on none of them having any other comb modifying genes.
I have a dark Cornish rooster over various single comb hens. Not sure of the ratio but some of the chicks have a single comb. Does this mean my DC roo has one single comb gene? He came from a shipped egg.

Back
Top Bottom