Silkies and Single Combs

WillowRidgeFarm

Chirping
Oct 8, 2022
Hey there, so I acquired this handsome satin silkie rooster that has a single comb. I know that single combs are a breed fault. So here’s my question; can this single comb be bred out if he is crossed with a correct(walnut comb) hen? Trying to decide if he is worth adding to a “project.” Thank you.
7E4293CE-CAFD-4AF1-BC4D-1B419B9D6BE0.jpeg

Yes, it can be bred out, single combs are recessive, will pop up from time to time.

I've gotten plenty of pure walnuts, from breeding Walnut to single combed Silkies.

But you are to expect some pea combs, & rose combs to be produced. These can be bred for walnut also.

Hey there, so I acquired this handsome satin silkie rooster that has a single comb. I know that single combs are a breed fault. So here’s my question; can this single comb be bred out if he is crossed with a correct(walnut comb) hen? Trying to decide if he is worth adding to a “project.” Thank you. View attachment 3285218
Oh my gosh he’s soooooo cute !!!

If single comb is recessive how is it that it can pop up years later? If the parents dont have single? Recessive needs two copys to show doesnt it? I also have a buff silkie rooster with a single comb bit hens hes with are not so gonna keep a son that doesnt have a single comb and use him and replace the male etc
DSC00276.JPG

If single comb is recessive how is it that it can pop up years later? If the parents dont have single? Recessive needs two copys to show doesnt it?

That's exactly why, because recessive genes don't express if a more dominant gene is present. That means that a bird with only one copy of a recessive gene can look exactly like a bird without any copies of that gene, thus hiding it. Then two birds that carry recessive genes happen to pair up at some point along the line and some of their chicks end up with two copies of the gene for that recessive trait.

That's exactly why, because recessive genes don't express if a more dominant gene is present. That means that a bird with only one copy of a recessive gene can look exactly like a bird without any copies of that gene, thus hiding it. Then two birds that carry recessive genes happen to pair up at some point along the line and some of their chicks end up with two copies of the gene for that recessive trait.
But after awhile doesnt it disappear?

But after awhile doesnt it disappear?

You can breed it out with a lot of effort, but it won't just disappear unless you're very lucky. Each bird carrying a recessive trait has a 50-50 shot of passing that trait on. If they're bred to a bird who is not hiding that recessive trait, then their offspring will look like they should, even though half of them carry the gene and there are no outward signs of which do and which don't. Each of those birds is essentially a coin flip whether or not they have it. So you can luck out and just happen to pick the right birds to eliminate the trait, but odds are pretty high it'll haunt you for a long time before that ever happens.

You can also test cross your birds and only keep the ones that confirmed are not carrying the recessive genes through that. However, test crossing takes a lot of time and space, and you end up with a bunch of mixed birds you don't want or need as a result of it.

I've also heard of DNA testing for certain genes, but I don't know if comb genes are one such set of genes that can be tested for, nor where to look to find out.

You can breed it out with a lot of effort, but it won't just disappear unless you're very lucky. Each bird carrying a recessive trait has a 50-50 shot of passing that trait on. If they're bred to a bird who is not hiding that recessive trait, then their offspring will look like they should, even though half of them carry the gene and there are no outward signs of which do and which don't. Each of those birds is essentially a coin flip whether or not they have it. So you can luck out and just happen to pick the right birds to eliminate the trait, but odds are pretty high it'll haunt you for a long time before that ever happens.

You can also test cross your birds and only keep the ones that confirmed are not carrying the recessive genes through that. However, test crossing takes a lot of time and space, and you end up with a bunch of mixed birds you don't want or need as a result of it.

I've also heard of DNA testing for certain genes, but I don't know if comb genes are one such set of genes that can be tested for, nor where to look to find out.
I think rose comb is able to be tested for, but I haven't heard of other ones

Back
Top Bottom