How to breed SPLIT TO LAVENDER?

celebrate.gif
You two are wonderful, thank you so much for your help
hugs.gif

I have notes I have to follow to keep this all straight and still get lost. ....

Lavender gene pool

To get lavender it takes two genes so both breeding birds need to carry a lavender gene.

lavender to another color will get you mutts

mutt x mutt will get you 25% lavenders, 50% mutts and 25% non-carriers.

mutt x lavender will get you 50% lavenders and 50% mutts.

Lavender x lavender will give you lavender

If you only had one lavender, you could breed it to another color, then breed the resulting mutts back to the lavender for 50% lavenders. So it could be done, but would take 2 generations.

Each mutt carries one gene for lavender and one gene for non-lavender. Since the lavender is recessive, it won't show up until the two lavender genes get together in the offspring, and genetically that happens 25% of the time. Of the 75% of the chicks that look like mutts, 50% will be lavender carrying mutts and 25% will be mutts that do not carry lavender, and there is no way of telling which mutts carries lavender. If you use a non-carrying lavender mutt in your breeding pen, you will not get any lavenders.
Let me suggest that you do a web search for Punnett Squares and study them. When you understand Punnett Squares then you will understand all about this lavender color breeding. It will be well worth your time.

You should never cross blue and or splash with lavender. That question is the main reason we want to call them lavenders instead of self blue. People get self blue and blue mixed up in their minds and think that the cross will be like mixing paint it is not. Another reason is that the gene that causes lavender is called "lavender", and that color is called lavender in other countries; Australia, Great Brittan, and probably several others. The lavender gene has absolutely no part in determining Andalusia blue or any shade thereof.

OK that is my notes.
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you. Question? I didn't understand this You should never cross blue and or splash with lavender. I actually understand the blue and self blue issues.
I think I am NOT supposed to breed splash and blue to the Lav Orp is because I may not get the color correct? I that what you meant?

I will check out the Punnett Squares, sounds interesting!

use the chicken calculator
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
just punch in the colros you want to cross and it will show you what you'll get. Mutts in that other post are what we call splits in color breeding, split to lavender gets to a lavender based color of that patterned bird. True breeding them to black, blue or splash servers no purpose in creating a new color, as you end result will just be another lavender or a blue black or splash again. In color breeding, the goal is to replace the black feathering with lavender. If your goal here is just for fun, there's no harm in what you want to do. If you intend to sell them, you need to keep records of what's what and let the buyer know, as it can be very difficult to tell some apart. I have splash d'anvers that to an untrained eye look identical to self blues....
Try that calculator though, it's very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom