How to Butcher a Chicken

Hello,
A little meandering but something to consider....

When I was an undergrad. I worked in a laboratory that used rats for research into what is commonly called miscarriages and birth defects. We learned things that helped women with epilepsy have healthy, full term babies. I thought the research was important and, although the rats and any pups accidentally born had to be killed, we had our own little "eco- system" where another laboratory's owls and snakes were fed the kill from our lab... I heard some students in the lab. speak negatively of the students who actually killed the rats... well one of the students- a young man named Ben - did kill the rats... and I asked him how and why he did so. Ben said that he had seen animals slaughtered humanely and not so - he could not work in a lab and benefit from the animals death without being a part of it so he knew the animal was respected. He said he thanked every single rat before he killed it....After that I volunteered to also kill the rats for the lab. I did so humanely and with respect for lives and their sacrifice and I too, thanked each one. I was a vegan at the time and I realized that I was vegan because of the huge disconnect many people have with their food.

Now I do eat some meat and animal products . I prefer to eat meat from animals I know lived well and were killed as humanely as possible (home raised or locally produced whenever I can). That's why I raise and slaughter my own chickens....and I still thank each one when I do.

Shooting something or fishing for something wild and separate is a very different thing than raising it and killing it yourself. Name calling seems unnecessary- I belonged to the poultry club and we made good money around Thanksgiving every year from local farmers who brought us their livestock to slaughter and dress- no shame in that in my humble opinion. You're still very connected to the process.,..
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Skinning or plucking.

I guess we have done about 20 chickens over the years. That does not count the quail and ducks.

We have never plucked one, we only skinned.

The reason was that we heard it was easier, and we were going to remove the skin anyway for cooking or after cooking.

I really, really would like to hear back on opinions about plucking versus skinning.

Years ago I bought a propone turkey frier for the purpose of using it to dip birds for plucking, but it is still in the box.

Thanks

I prefer plucking. But i also cook with the skin on. The bird is juicier IMO, and tastes better. I think skinning would be Quicker and less messy. Either way, the end result is a good one.
big_smile.png

This has been good reading.
I am so afraid of this task, but I have to do it.
ARgghhhhhhhhHHHHH!
Questions though
1. How long can I safely let it bleed out and how much blood is there?
2. Do I have to start and finish all in the same day or can I bag and refrig and come back (say after they bleed out)
3. Do you have to wax all birds to get all the feathers out or is it just some?
4. How much meat do I really get from an 8 week old RIR?
5. Can I snap there necks and chill them and then come back and let them bleed out and do the entire project?

I know some of these questions are strange I just dont know how much strenght I have to do this.
Fish are different I have done this plenty of time with them and I have seen a few deer butchered but this is different.

treehouse,

I was waiting for someone else to answer (even my wife), but I will answer what I know:

Cleaning a chicken is not really that different than other animals. The main difference is the killing method and the feathers. If you skin the birds as we do, then you will find it rather similar.

1. I suppose you can hang the birds like other cultures, but frankly we don't. After the bird calms down, we just get to work.

2. I don't know, but I wouldn't wait. My understanding of field dressing is that at least you want to eviscerate. You can put off the skinning or plucking if you have to.

3. You don't have to wax the bird. That is supposed to make it easier, but the few birds I plucked many years ago were not waxed. Waxing is more important for ducks. I think most people don't use wax. I wouldn't. For one reason, I would not want to deal with the waste.

4. From my experience about 80% of the pre-cleaning weight. Don't go by appearance because the feathers make it look bigger. Depends some on whether you eat heart, liver, gizzard, etc.

5. I don't know, but I wouldn't.

By the way, we live near you, and would have emailed you, but could not find your email address.

I will email you.

Once a hunter wanted to show me pictures from his deer hunting trip, but wanted to know if I would be squeamish.

I decided to explain the difference between a hunter and a farmer:

A hunter looks through his scope at an animal far away, then pulls the trigger. Then he walks up on the animal, looks down, says "well, I guess that animal is dead, I might as well clean it".

A farmer looks his animal in the eye.

For the animal, it is the same, but for us in our culture, hunting is easier.

OH THAT IS GREAT!!!!
I know it is so different and so up close and personal!
It is much much easier to pull the trigger from 100 yards then to wheeld a knife while holding them down with the other hand.
And all with the same hands that you helf them and feed them and they trusted you, Oh sooooo hard, hardest thing I think I have ever done next to any of the life experiences with my sons.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Things I learned

1. there really was not much blood at all, I kept hearing that I should let it bleed out and that it only took 5 minutes and was probably only going to be about 1 pint of blood. Well it was not even that.
2. dont look them in the eye and create a mantra like "we need the meat" (sounds silly but it worked for me)
3. Dip in boiling water to defeather very very quickly.
4. Have a vrey sharp knife and a clever
5. put the feather in a bucket of water as you pluck because it prevents them from flying all over if they are wet (also helps if you are washing them for hat making or pic making

Back
Top Bottom