How to Butcher a Chicken

I am sure there is a thread about how to cull and pressure can chickens/geese but I am not finding it. I am new to the pressure canner (and new to butchering chickens and geese) and I don't have room in the freezer.
  • How many chickens will I need to butcher to fill a canner with quart or 2 quart jars? I have 8 young roosters I need to process and I would like to can some whole.
  • Do I need to let them 'rest' for 12-24 hours in a brine before canning?
  • How do you debone a whole chicken for canning?
  • I live in Arco Idaho and my elevation is over 5000 feet
Thank you! I am sure there is more I should be asking but I wouldn't know what that would be.

I pressure can almost all of my chicken now. Here is how I do it:

Butcher chickens. (No rest required when pressure canning).
Remove the skin and freeze it to make schmaltz later.
Cut all of the meat off the bone and place it directly into pint jars along with 1/2 tsp of salt. (I can only fit about 14oz of meat into a pint jar but many folks say they can get a full pound/16 oz in them).
Remove bubbles from the jar if possible.
Clean rim of jar w vinegar or really hot water and close up.
Place jars into pressure canner and can according to your manual.
I can fit 1 old laying hen into a pint jar. A big rooster can take several jars.

Here is the webste: (I raw pack as it is the quickest and easiest.) https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/chicken_rabbit.html

After that I take everything left over (backs, necks, feet, bones, etc) roast it in the oven, break the bones into pieces, and pressure cook it in the pressure canner for about 2 hours with water. Then Strain it, chill it, defat it overnighight and then pressure can the chicken stock in quart jars. I make about 1 quart of stock per chicken. (Since my pressure canner/cooker can hold 7 quart jars I use 7 quarts of water and about 6 chicken carcasses in making the stock).

I've been doing some research on canning bone-in or bone-out. You can do it either way, the time is actually a bit less for bone in. Also, you can raw or cook pack. Sounds like browning the meat first would give it great flavor. If bone-in, then most of the smaller bones disintegrate and enrich the broth (bone broth) and any bones that still remain are easily picked out. that answered my questions and I hope yours, too.

You folks are making me wanna go process a chicken. My roos are still too
small but are getting bigger every day. Heerrreee chicky chicky..

I wanted to mention that on our last batch I scalded and plucked 3 roos. After
I had broken down my turkey frier(scalder) we had a hen penny that was attacked
by the other chickens and was in bad shape. I had planned on culling her eventually
anyways so, rather than put her back in the brooder to suffer with a head wound
I took her head completely off. Rather than pluck it I skinned it. This was my
first time skinning and I remembered how Silkiechicken says that is how she does
hers. WOW WAS IT EASY!!!. I know crispy skin is a nice thing but for a slow cooked
soup does skin really matter anyways??? Miss Prissy said just add a little butter
if you don't have skin.

Forgive my dry sarcasm when talking about culling birds. I hate to kill anything for
any reason but believe in the "raise your own meat bird philosophy".

Butchering can be fun in the right company. And I actually enjoy plucking them.
If you really want to use everything you can put all the feather in a pillow case tie it up tight and wash the feathers in your washing machine, and then through them ( in the pillow case still) in the dryer. Great for crafts or save a bunch of down for pillows! Don't want to put feathers in your washer? Turn them into the soil in your garden.
I was taught to "skin" and clean the feet and clean gizzards for eating too, although I still haven't eaten either.
It's always a plus to use everything you can. Makes the act of killing an animal for food a harmonious act.

I am sure there is a thread about how to cull and pressure can chickens/geese but I am not finding it. I am new to the pressure canner (and new to butchering chickens and geese) and I don't have room in the freezer.
  • How many chickens will I need to butcher to fill a canner with quart or 2 quart jars? I have 8 young roosters I need to process and I would like to can some whole.
  • Do I need to let them 'rest' for 12-24 hours in a brine before canning?
  • How do you debone a whole chicken for canning?
  • I live in Arco Idaho and my elevation is over 5000 feet
Thank you! I am sure there is more I should be asking but I wouldn't know what that would be.
I don't know how many it would take. What I do know is that you don't need to let the meat rest, because you'll be de-boning and packing it, so it won't matter. The lady that told me how to do it said just to salt it as you pack it in the jars, no liquid necessary. You can watch YouTube videos of people de-boning whole chickens, much easier than trying to describe it in writing. Basically, you'll just be cutting chunks of meat off, though.

Back
Top Bottom