How to Butcher a Chicken

Ugh.. I think I might lose dinner...good thing it was beef lol
smile.png
DONT EVEN GO THERE!! I am so glad there are people out there that can do this or else I would never eat.

We do this about every 6 months. Only about 4-5 at a time but that is what those particular birds are raised for. It does get easier as it goes to get it "the way you want it".

I hunt and fish a lot and always have so the actuall process. to me, wasn't bad at all. The good thing compared to others processing I have done is there is not hardly any "smells" that you encounter during the job.

Great Post, very informative!!

Hobby

:)hope someone can help me out i have some questions about grit what is the best grit for chickens and how do you know if the chicken you are butchering is ok to eat this is new to me and having issues with when to butcher and if it is ok to eat them?

you can use oyster shells for grit or pelletized lime. As long as they are healthy they are ok to eat. The age will depend on how you can eat it. Depending on what the bird is depends on the age to butcher.

After my first butchering experience, I realized that plucking is no fun!! my and my hubby found a site that suggested you melt some parrafin wax in the water you would normally scald the chickens in. you rough pluck the chickens, then warm the water enough to completely melt the wax. Dip the chicken in for a few seconds, and pull out. immerse it in a bucket of really cold water, and let it sit there for a few minutes. pull the chicken out and feel the wax. it should be hard, not warm or soft. if needed return to the cold water for a bit longer. when the wax is hard, just peel it off, ALL the feathers come with it!!! even the tiny ones, and the pins!!!!!!!!
ya.gif
When you are done pulling all the wax off, give the chicken a quick rinse in warm water to remove all the wax flakes, and enjoy a perfectly cleaned chicken!!! This works with all feathered poultry, and I have done it 4 times now!!! Good luck, and have fun "waxing" your chickens!!

This past weekend I butchered 9 chickens for the first time. One of the birds I butchered had a lot of watery green fluid in its body cavity. The gall bladder was still intact. Seems like I remember reading somewhere that greenish fluid is not a good thing. It certainly doesn't seem like it is a good thing...! The miser in me can't stand the idea of throwing the bird in the trash. The engineer in me thinks that as long as the bird is cooked to proper temperature, there shouldn't be any problems. The old lady in me says to not take any chances and just toss it. I would like to hear any advice anyone might have. Thank you.

The green liquid doesn't sound good but I wander what caused it. The only thing I can think of is grass in the crop- stomach and a good rinse job should do the trick. Other than that I am also waiting for a good explanation. John

The liquid is not grassy-green - it is watery green - almost looked like human urine, albeit green urine... Almost mountain-dewish.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom