1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to candle' non-fertilized 'eggs????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by juice, Apr 1, 2009.

1. juice

juice Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    hastings
    Hi all,
    Do you all candle ? I want to start for the occasional blood spot,which is gross to our extended family members. I'm thinking that others would want me to candle to not give them the spotted ones. Any thoughts on the easiest way to do this?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    high powered flash light , cardboard tube (paper towels or toilet paper), duct tape.

Tape the tube to the flashlight (the side the light come out above the lens), so that the only light that comes out is through the end of the tube( best to check this with the lights off at night).

In the dark, place the small end of the suspect egg into the end of the cardboard tube that the light shows through. Hold firmly in place , turn flashlight on , room lights off.

If you have better eyes then me you should be able to see blood spots.

3. juice

juice Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    hastings
    wow! you are smart !!! I was stressing over a more complicated method and didn't even think of your idea....thanks much!

4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Sorry... [​IMG]

5. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:Tomorrow, when everything is back to normal, people will be wondering what was so funny!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by