How to care for hunchback pullet

Apologies, in the above photo, the tail feathers are missing. S/he would sit on the ground a lot and the dirt and moisture melted off the tail feathers :(

Hi again, even the pullets are tormenting this poor guy. I put him in a cage with an injured pullet, and found him cowering in the corner when I got home. He can't seem to catch a break. Is it worth maintaining him? I have 100+ animals and although I feel for him, I try to keep the number of feeding stations as low as possible. I tried posting 'special needs hen' on craigslist a few weeks ago, (when I thought he was a hen) with no takers. Is there any benefit to keeping him in the stock tank with newly hatched chicks, like their chaperone?

Hi again, even the pullets are tormenting this poor guy. I put him in a cage with an injured pullet, and found him cowering in the corner when I got home. He can't seem to catch a break. Is it worth maintaining him? I have 100+ animals and although I feel for him, I try to keep the number of feeding stations as low as possible. I tried posting 'special needs hen' on craigslist a few weeks ago, (when I thought he was a hen) with no takers. Is there any benefit to keeping him in the stock tank with newly hatched chicks, like their chaperone?
Putting him in with chicks is a bad idea. It sounds to me like you've got way too many birds in too small of an area. Can you post pics of your setup?

cvb.PNG

My rooster Quazzy was hatched late with a bad leg. He was getting trampled by other birds. His leg was to the point where you could not put a hobble on it. I kept him separate for a week or so then after buy some new hatched chicks from the feed store. I put him in with the new chicks. They were getting their sea legs, and so was he. He ended up curing his own leg.

If you decide to keep him with the chicks I'd seriously consider having a hardware cloth wall so he doesn't attack the chicks, at the very least. He can still see them but can't really get to them. All it'd take is a hard peck to a chicks head. That's a scary situation everyway you look at it. I understand you wanting to give him a chance, but I wouldn't jeopardize chicks.

If you decide to keep him with the chicks I'd seriously consider having a hardware cloth wall so he doesn't attack the chicks, at the very least. He can still see them but can't really get to them. All it'd take is a hard peck to a chicks head. That's a scary situation everyway you look at it. I understand you wanting to give him a chance, but I wouldn't jeopardize chicks.
Ok, thanks for the headsup.

Personally I would cull this bird. It sounds like you have enough on your plate.

Back
Top Bottom