How to care for injured dove?

imtc

Songster
11 Years
Oct 30, 2008
looks like a pellet wound. There is dried blood on it's back near left wing and fresh wet blood on lower chest that is still bleeding some. I haven't handled it much as I'm trying to keep it calm. It is awake and calm. I've set a shallow bowl of water and seed (my chicken scratch grains) in with it. Will probably takle some kind of wound care in the morning if he makes it. Any suggestions on what to clean it with or treatment? Wildlife rescue would not take him in.

How did it do over night? Personally I would just kinda leave it a loan for a few days and I wouldn't do to much doctoring on it . I'm sure the stress of being handled will kill it faster than anything.

The bird died? that is a bummer. For a pellet would, if it is quite serious, there is another trick. Get a soft drink bottle and cut the top and bottom off the bottle with a knife. Nail the bottle upside down to a wooden post. Put the bird upside-down through the bottle with it's head sticking out of the cut hole at the bottom of the bottle. Hold the birds head and slice the neck all the way through with a large knife. Sometimes this is the best option with injured animals!

Birdman.....
lau.gif
smack.gif

JERK

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom