How to care for pigeons

jywel417

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Atlanta
Hey Guys, I haven't posted in a while and have never posted in the pigeon section but I have a question. Our local Raptor Rehab lady brought a pigeon in today that someone found in their back yard that can not fly. Upon further inspection (in addition to little lice bugs on it) there is a puncture wound in the wing that needs to heal. I looked up pictures of pigeons and he seems to be a red shield old german owl pigeon. So, long story short, i've never had a pigeon and am quite lost on how to care for it while it heals. Is there any way to tell the males from the females? What do they eat? What kind of temporary housing should I set up for it in the bird cage I have it in at the moment? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance guys!!

Whitney Newman

What do they eat?

They can eat many types of grain, peas, and small amounts of corn
I feed mine a mix of bird seed and "Flock Raiser" poultry pellets, along with whole corn

It's hard to tell the sexes apart unless you have several birds to compare.
Males tend to be larger, but behavior around other birds is the biggest clue.​

Thank you very much!! I have flock raiser which I feed to my hens so I can feed it some of that mixed with the grain/seed mix I have been feeding it so far!

I do rehab work and one of my perm. residents is a lovely little pigeon with a disabled wing. I love the Pigeon Talk forum (http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/index.php) Many rehabbers on on that forum from across the globe and are very friendly and helpful with sharing information on caring for these little guys. Also, http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/chickens_retired/35035/1 is a good article on feeding them.

As for what to feed. We have done well using a whole and cracked grain filled Rooster blend (it is a custom blend our local feed store makes themselves) It is filled with a variety of grains as well as pellets. I also add into the mix the following... popcorn, brown rice, split peas (they love peas as well as popcorn so if you have a pigeon resisting food they usually can not help themselves when offered a mix with these in it), barley, quinoa, etc.

If it is a loaner be sure to place a mirror where he can see himself. They are social animals so give him lots of attention and adding the mirror will help keep his spirits up for a quicker recovery.

Back
Top Bottom