How to Care For Seramas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nagleobr, Nov 7, 2016.

1. nagleobr

nagleobr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2015
    I have been intrigued by the appearance, size, temperment, and stories of serama chickens. I would like to get some in the future if I can, but I really don't know much about them and would like to before considering getting them. Is there anything special I need to do when I care for them? I have heard that you need to make sure they stay warm in the winter, but I live in AZ, and it doesn't tend to get much colder than 30 degrees fahrenheit here. Any tips on cold weather, feed, coops, or anything else? Thank you!!

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    While serama are small they are hardier than some give them credit for. They can not take severe cold; under 30 F. Basic care is the same as other breeds. They can fly quite well and do not require as much space. Everything CAN be on a smaller scale. Mine have a strong broody instinct and hatch new broods often. Clutch size is much smaller (5 to 8 eggs), but brood eggs more often hatching new chicks every 6 weeks or so. They should do well in AZ.

3. nagleobr

nagleobr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2015
    Thank you! I would love to get some and they sound like they would do pretty well here, but I need the opportunity first. They sound so sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by