How to catch pigeons

Thanks for that I'll try that soon, I live in an area that the people are very into farming and the pigeons will be shot as they poo in calf food and then the calves get sick. The people are very nice, when i raised a pigeon squab and it flew off they said i can look in their farmyard Sometimes the pigeons come in the shed and just watch me so I think we're getting somewhere. Can they live with chickens, I have a small wooden shed and the hens roosts are low down, I could have the pigeons roosts, feed and water high up?

Thanks for that I'll try that soon, I live in an area that the people are very into farming and the pigeons will be shot as they poo in calf food and then the calves get sick. The people are very nice, when i raised a pigeon squab and it flew off they said i can look in their farmyard Sometimes the pigeons come in the shed and just watch me so I think we're getting somewhere. Can they live with chickens, I have a small wooden shed and the hens roosts are low down, I could have the pigeons roosts, feed and water high up?
Not suggested to keep inside same structure,,, unless totally isolated... A loft on top,, with a wire netting separating the two levels would work.

Gravel floor is just fine. I suggest you free fly your pets. That is what I did. let them out hungry, and soon they returned to loft. You can let them stay out as long as they are safe. Predators to watch for are hawks during daytime. Eagles also, but not usually. Eagles are not as swift, and do prefer larger meals.
0402151813-00 (3).jpg

So could they just fly down to the rest of the pigeons I couldn't catch. I'll probably just rescue the squabs that fall and then they won't know to fly to the others

10 minutes ago I saw a squab on the ground so my dad lifted it up to the nest (the very messey one) it's hatchmate was in the nest but the parents are gone, when I noticed the squab the parents weren't there either. Will they come back? If they don't I'm going to raise them myself. Usually 1 or the other parent is here so I'm worried for the 2 squabs

So could they just fly down to the rest of the pigeons I couldn't catch. I'll probably just rescue the squabs that fall and then they won't know to fly to the others
Pigeons are flock birds,,,, that means they will join a close by flock. But they may decide to sleep in their new loft area. The other pigeons in your barn may also decide to join the loft flock. Hard to say or predict what can happen.
Keeping feed and water inside a loft encourages pigeons to visit, and possibly homeset there.
Sorry to hear that the squab perished. :hit
Maybe you can build some better nesting platforms inside your barn at current time. This way the pigeons will have a better opportunity to build safer nesting.

Back
Top Bottom