How to catch pigeons

peafowl_Lover

Songster
Aug 22, 2023
Ireland
Hi I live on a farm a while back some racing pigeons got lost and stayed in my shed, they bred and now there is a good few pigeons and the original domestic pigeons died. I love the pigeons, when a chick falls from their high nests I raise it and release it. But now I would like to catch a few to keep as pets and there is a random white one I named Albert. How would I catch them? There is a pair that have a young chick.

If they live in your shed they’re pretty close to being pets already, what purpose would it serve to catch them? Where would you put them other than the shed?

I have chickens aswell it's just that I would like to atleast catch the white one and another 1 because lots of people try shoot them.

I have chickens aswell it's just that I would like to atleast catch the white one and another 1 because lots of people try shoot them.
Oh thats bad! I feel bad for the pigeons that get shoot! I really dont know how to catch pigeons. I'm so sorry!

I hope you can figure out something! :hugs

I love pigeons! They are friendly and lovely pets!

Probably not there is lots of spaces for them to get out I'll try a mink trap with some seeds. What seeds do they love? They are kind if mad so if I can't catch them I'll raise chicks that fall from the nest.

What you are calling a shed,,, we call that a barn. It is not difficult to catch them at night. You would need to have a sufficient ladder, and someplace handy to place your captures. .
Of course you would first need to build a sectioned off loft area, Place then there, and provide food and water. They may homeset to that spot. Then when they have squabs, let out one parent at a time. . See if he/she returns to your new loft section,, or old barn area.
A headlamp with a red light might be best choice to catch your pigeons at night. You can see,,,, but I think pigeon would not get too startled, and also would just sit in place.
Post some pictures of your (shed) so we can get a better idea on advice to give.
image000000 (1).jpg

WISHNG YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I see what you mean now. That is a huge and very messy nest.

The other advice you’ve received so far are spot on, flashlight and a ladder at night and you should be able to reach them all. If they have very young squabs or eggs in the nest it might be worth it to wait and take the young when they’re starting to feather and raise them up like you’ve been doing. In the meantime you could catch all the adults who aren’t incubating or feeding young that you want at night. I’m not sure how difficult the transition from barn to loft would be for these birds. I would assume that better nesting areas and a more consistent supply of water and food would convince most of these semi-ferals to live in a loft quickly

Back
Top Bottom