How to catch pigeons

This is what I would do.
I would remove nest, and all related material. I would install a board like I outlined in red pen on pix. About 50 cm x 50 cm. Place some straw, and small sticks on top. Not too many. Pigeon will view place as ideal spot for nest area. Pigeon will rearrange the nesting material, as well as add more find, from surrounding ground.
Pigeons do not make elaborate nests like chickens do. Just sufficient for eggs not to roll away.
I have seen such, where pigeons make their nests under bridges, on the flat surfaces that hold up the supports.
You can also make a raised edge on perimeter of board, by stapling a rope/clothesline, or small twig/branches. This would also prevent eggs from rolling off totally to the ground.
This way, if squab moves away from under parent pigeon ,,,,, parent can move junior back under and keep warm. Junior does not take that leap of end.

Just a little bit of pigeon parenting. During about the first 20 days, both parents take turns brooding the babies. After that period, mama pigeon stars to make another nest and gets ready to lay more eggs. Papa pigeon does the final feeding after day 20.

You can also place a shallow large dish, on top of the board. large flower pot base also works well. This way it keeps the small squabs from rolling out in early days.
That is what most pigeon keepers place into pigeon loft enclosures.
image_2024-02-14_235851416.png

Ask anything else you need to know. I can tag other active members for their help, if you should want.
One member that is no longer with us,,, always knew that feral pigeons were on my favorite list. :frow
Everyone has their preferences. Feral pigeons do not win beauty contests. Do acrobatics in the sky,, or win races.

The squabs usually fall when they are being fed, I think if more squabs fall I'll keep them only of they fall in cold weather and are young, but if they fall in the summer I'll put them back.

Back
Top Bottom