how to clean a dirty pet (non show) silkie?

So I broached the bath subject with DH and he basically said it was him or the chicken.

I showed him the door.

LOL just kidding... he's very supportive of my "hobby" and loves the silkies the best, and pointed out that birds clean themselves without human intervention all the time and to wait until the next rain or snow.

Sigh.

"honey we're out of beer..."
lau.gif

If you bathe her, you can just use dawn dishwashing soap in nice warm water (actually that's how I get rid of lice once when my chicken had lice). it worked great. but i would blowdry till she is absolutely dry and then maybe keep her in the house an extra day to make sure she's all dry. Because even on a 75 degree day, when the chicken is wet, she can't regulate her body temperature and can become ill. So I imagine with your weather it would be critical to keep her warm and dry if washed. It took me over an hour to dry mine with a blowdryer on a hot summer day.

Last edited:
I wish my silkie was tame enough to endure all of that... she hardly tolerates me holding her, I imagine a trip to the house and a bath would give her a heart attack!

I'll look into those dry shampoos for dogs and see if I can get some of that, to start with...
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom