1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to clean up silkies feet?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BantamFan4Life, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Okay so I live in northwest washington all we get is rain practically all fall + winter. I was wondering what to do to my
    silkies feet there wet and saturated and feathers are getting ruined and if I'm going to show here at local competitions and for her
    health what would help? What should I do?

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    If u just want to clean them, i would soak them in clean, luke-warm water(theyre already wet, right?), then wipe and dry them w/ a towl.

3. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I've sort of done that already, they look nice and clean and then she runs around steps in chicken poop and they get saturated within thirty
    minutes.

4. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    ahhhhh, so u want to keep them clean......a while back it rained for a week straight wherei am and my chickens' feet were caked with mud. after the weather dried up a bit the mud came off and their feet looked normal again. I am not sure what u can do to keep them clean, it just seems like one of those things.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You need a covered run. I'm in the Pac NW too, and used to have silkies. They will stand in the rain and get soaked. You can put some sand in there if needed (some like sand and some don't so you might want to test a small area first to keep it from being so muddy).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/99105/bathing-a-silkie-tutorial-pic-heavy
    this is one GREAT thread if you haven't seen it already

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  6. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I might think of having a covered run but I free range my chickens so that won't really work. Well, I guess my silkie kind of deserves dirty feet,
    she does it to herself!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by