How to clean your eggs??

LoveMyFeatherBabies

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 8, 2011
Shelby, NC
I thought I knew what I was doing but I picked up my encyclopedia of country living yesterday and...apparently I don't know what I'm doing!!

How do you clean your eggs to make them presentable to sell without making them spoil faster??

I'm confused and I want to make sure my friends are getting good clean eggs that will last.

Very good question, I don't have the answer but would very much like to know the answer to this one as I have been washing mine if they were dirty, and I also give them away, for me it doesn't matter if they are dirty but I don't want to sell them looking like that!

I take a damp washcloth and hand clean everyone that appears dirty...after that they all go in the fridge..If they are spotless-no cleaning involved as the bloom gets wiped off. If you cook/sell/giveaway your eggs quickly, I would not worry about a time limit as they will be used long before a question of spoiling comes into affect:) 6 weeks in fridge...I dont think I have ever had eggs sitting for more than 2 weeks in my fridge though...Just tell your friends of the time frame you've had them and when to use them by..Or keep all the ones you personally wash and sell the clean untouched ones to your friends, those will last longer...

You want good clean eggs to sell and ones that won't spoil fast.....1. Make sure you have lots of clean bedding in the nesting boxes at all times 2. Collect them several times throughout the day 3. Brush off any nesting material, dirt or poo 4. Don't wash unless absolutely necessary.....the bloom is on the outside of the shell, it's natures micro fiber covering that protects against bacteria. 5. Refrigerate as soon as you collect. Eggs that I actually wash I keep for myself.

hmmmm...okay...I think I understand now...try to wipe the ones that are dirty and leave the rest. Thanks!! I usually sell the eggs before they are even 4 days old but I want to be safe (= Thanks for all the help!!!

If I were selling, I'd use the dirty ones for myself and sell clean unwashed ones. But then I only get poop on one egg out of maybe 12 or 15.

If you sell that quickly and you know your customers rate of use, you can probably relax. Stores eggs are all washed and some state laws require eggs to be sanitized before sales. Those washed store eggs? They spend up to a month or more in the pipeline and on the shelves yet do pretty well. Then, folks take them home for another week or two.

Point is, I guess, that your biz seem to be like ours. Sold in a day or two and the customers are back in a week to ten days. There just isn't too much "aging" involved.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom