How to combine chicks with chickens?

Akemartin

Chirping
May 11, 2021
We have 17 hens (1.5 years old) and 1 silkie rooster (also 1.5 years old). We redid our coop, added another coop and expanded the chicken run this summer. We ordered 15 chicks (6 straight run buff Brahma - hoping at least 1 is a roo, 5 light Brahma pullets, and 4 black jersey pullets) at the end of August. I am wondering when we can combine them all together and how to go about that process. Should we keep them separated until the chicks (roughly 8 weeks currently) start laying? If we can do it now, what kind of food should we buy? We are currently buying our layers Layer food and the chicks the chick starter food, but if we combine them and set the food out we wouldn’t really have control over whether or not the chicks eat the layer food or the layers eat the chick starter food.

I also want to mention we have the chicks in a separate coop and run, but it is within the run that the layers have access, too. So while they can’t mingle, they have seen each other within their respective spaces for about 2 weeks now. I don’t know if that matters or not

Food: layer feed has too much calcium for chicks. Chick start is safe for chickens of all ages. Layers need more calcium than chick starter has, so just put out a separate dish of oyster shell. Chickens are usually good at eating the right amount of calcium for their own needs, so it doesn't matter if the chicks can reach it too-- they will usually sample it and then ignore it until they reach laying age themselves.

I also want to mention we have the chicks in a separate coop and run, but it is within the run that the layers have access, too. So while they can’t mingle, they have seen each other within their respective spaces for about 2 weeks now. I don’t know if that matters or not
Can you make one or more chick-sized openings? That would let the chicks come out and start mingling with the rest, but they could run back into their own safe space if the adults chase them. Chick-sized openings can be holes in the pen, or just a door propped the right amount open (maybe a brick to keep it open, and a scrap of rope so it won't open any further.)

8 week olds might be too big for 'tiny doors' integration.
But here's some tips:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

I've never fed anything but an 'all flock' type feed(1-2%calcium) to my flock.
With a separate feeder of oyster shells for the active layers.
Your older girls will probably stop laying soon for molting and the winter break,
assuming you are in the northern hemisphere.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1665942361139.png

8 week olds might be too big for 'tiny doors' integration.
But here's some tips:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
x2, chick doors won't work at this point since they're already 8 weeks old plus you have some giant breed chicks (and a small adult rooster). Doesn't mean you can't start integrating right now, but you won't be able to rely on those as a safety valve. What will still work is cluttering up the run (if you haven't already done so) to provide hiding spots https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/ , and having multiple feeders spread out to minimize conflict over food. I would also plan on supervising the first couple of face to face sessions just to see how things go between the two groups.

Back
Top Bottom