how to cook deer

I cook a lot of game meat, but one of the perennial favorites for deer is an easy recipe of my mother-in-law's. She takes a roast and slices the meat relatively thinly across the grain so the pieces are about a half inch thick. Salt and pepper the slices, dredge them in flour, and fry them a bit, but don't worry about cooking them all the way. Then take all of these slices and put in a crock pot with a couple of cans of Campbell's French Onion soup. Let this cook until fork tender, I'd guess all day on low or less time on high. Serve with the gravy over mashed potatoes.

I find the dish a little bit salty because of the soup, but it's still tasty. Not my cooking style either, but everyone loves it.

Ohhhh my word you lucky LUCKY woman! I would kill for a freezer full of venison! ... Ok maybe not kill. But I would definitely make really mean faces.

Seriously though. Jerky or FRIED.
droolin.gif
. Yummmmmm

Having grownup on venison and eaten it for 60yrs, you or that other "gal-in-your-head" did good ;-)

Great input here, cleaning the meat up is key,,,all hair, fat, tallow, tendon, "shiney stuff" as someone mentioned has gotta go. If you are going to grind for burger we always have added fat pork, cheap butts work great.

Now for an option I didn't see mentioned yet,,,,IF you are equipped for pressure canning it's hard to beat grabbing a jar of prepared venie off the shelf for a fast warmup meal,, over mashed tators or noodles the juice is the gravy.

Lots of recipes if you google but I do mine simple,,fill the jars with meat cut in 1" cubes and process for 90 minutes, you can add sliced onion and or garlic if you want, tsp of salt.

enjoy!

Quote:
YES the deer fat need trimmed off.......deer fat give a real bads taste.....beef or pork fat in place of the deer fat for burger ,

I have some deer stew in the fridge now. I put it in the crock pot early one morning, and about 2 pm it was tender enough to put the taters, carrots, and onions in it. When it all was done, I made gravy out of the broth and made a biscuit, and we ate till we hurt!

Put it in the crockpot until it falls off the bone- good with A1 sauce.

I also love venison burgandy. Put the meat, mushroom soup, mushrooms, burgandy wine and a little water or mik and cook all day on medium. It makes a sauce to serve over noodles.

Best roast I ever made was from deer. I soaked it all night in some coke and it really does a great job of getting it tender
and no game taste.
Added some taters and carotts and a can of cream of muchroom soup, salt and pepper and it's sooooo good!

One thing that is supposed to reduce the 'gamey' taste is to soak the meat in milk. I've tried it and it seems to help. I put it in a ziplock with about a cup of milk or enough to soak the meat without wasting the milk.

I like slicing deer meet across the grain and rolling it in a little flour with some pepper and frying it in oil.

The easiest recipe I used, whenever someone gave me a deer roast, is to put the roast in a crockpot, add 1/4 cup of water, sprinkle a whole package of Lipton Onion Soup (like you make the dip with), cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Then make a gravy with the drippings and pour over mashed potatoes. Yummy.

Back
Top Bottom