How to cool off chickens?

maclady

Songster
8 Years
Jan 28, 2011
Lost in Space
I have 4 Buff Orpingtons and it has hit 95 the last two days here. Any way I can help them stay a little cooler? They were panting yesterday and I felt bad. I have a sand dustbath spot for them, I have watered the run area to keep the ground as cool as I can and I even put up the beach umbrella to add more shade for them. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated? I tried to run the hose on a mister and my girls would have none of it. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

I run fans in one window of my coop. When the weather here get's hot they enjoy sitting on a perch directly in front of the fans. Also, make sure the mister is far enough away from the chickens that it just drifts over them occasionaly floating on the wind. If the mister is making a hissing sound they may need to get used to it.

Not that we have that problem here in the Noreast yet,but when the heat does come I put ice in their waterer,a fan in the coop and plenty of shade is in order. Also go to your local supermarket or fruit store and see if the have a last day produce section,which is produce that will be discarded after today and cheap in price. I like to buy watermelon and cantalope,take it home, cut it up and put it in the fridge. During the heat of the days the girls just love it. I prefer those two because they are high in water content but apples, pears and oranges work almost as well and it gives them variety.

I use shallow galvinized steel water pans for the birds to stand in on the super hot days in combination with a box fan in the coop, and watermelon. U can also create a shelter with frozen water jugs inside a big rubbermaid tub. Also freezing a waterer to put out fresh in the morning works well too.

you might want to try putting some Gatorade bottles with water in the freezer and when they are frozen throw them in the (pen,coop) mine just lay on top of them cool off and the others come and take turns.

we had a heat index of 102 yesterday good thing I can let mine free range, they can find the best spot to cool off.

The frozen gatorade bottles are a great idea I am going to try that.....I live in Maine and we had an excrusciatingly HOT summer last year......I have a box fan in the window of the coop room pulling the hot air out and I have occilating fans that I set up and keep running all summer long. They love the fans when it gets hot. But sometimes they are not enough.....Thank you for the iced bottle idea.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have tried the frozen bottles of water and so far they are not to keen on the idea.
hmm.png
I am going to see if I can find a different mister to use than the one I have. My girls are not to fond on getting wet unfortunately. I will get some of the shallow galvanized pans to put water in for them and see if they will stand in it. Chickenaddict, I am assuming you use the ones that are listed as puppy feed pans without the raised middle. I just happen so have some watermelon in the frig for me so I am going to share and give some to the girls in a few minutes. I have some grapes too. Anything to help them cool off cause they are panting again already and it isn't even near the hottest part of the day yet. Will a tarp cover heat up their run more? I have a shade cover on its way but until it gets here want to know if I can use a tarp. Just don't want it to get any hotter on them.

There is an old saying about nothing madder than a wet hen?

Mine don't enjoy being wet but they do love the mister and I spray the trees in the shady areas. Kind of works like a swamp cooler when an occasional breeze comes through.

Make sure they have shade. They will even dig down and get cooler.

Caroline

I make sure mine have plenty of shade. I also keep a pan of water for them to stand in. Cold treats such as watermellon also seem to brng them some relief. I have BO's in FL so I know how miserable the heat can make them. Poor babies.

Back
Top Bottom