How to coop train chicks during hot weather

swamphiker

Crowing
Feb 24, 2020
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have just transitioned my 5-week-old chicks to be outside 24/7. My next step is to train them to return to the coop at night; I've been going in and moving them up to their coop by hand. I know that most folks coop train by locking chickens in the coop for at least several days, but it is already hot here in Florida with highs of 87-89 all week. We built the coop with plenty of ventilation (open bottom, two huge windows on opposite sides) and we can keep it mostly shaded, but I am still worried about the temperature in the afternoons. Thoughts? Any alternatives to locking them in the coop for days?

I have just transitioned my 5-week-old chicks to be outside 24/7. My next step is to train them to return to the coop at night; I've been going in and moving them up to their coop by hand. I know that most folks coop train by locking chickens in the coop for at least several days, but it is already hot here in Florida with highs of 87-89 all week. We built the coop with plenty of ventilation (open bottom, two huge windows on opposite sides) and we can keep it mostly shaded, but I am still worried about the temperature in the afternoons. Thoughts? Any alternatives to locking them in the coop for days?
How many days has it been?
Do they go in and out of coop during the day?
Show us your coop and run?
I've used a battery power puck light to lure young birds inside at night,
turn it on an hour before dusk and turn it off when locking up after dark.
But if it is hot in coop they still may be reluctant to go inside.

I think what you're doing is fine. My chicks wont be able to go outside for another few weeks and by that time we'll be pretty hot. I plan on doing the same as you, every night putting them in the coop. I think if you're consistent then they will eventually start on their own.

A light is a good idea. I have some battery-powered lights in the yard that I could move temporarily.
You only need one, to put inside the coop to lure them in.
How many birds do you have?
Is there a floor in the upper coop portion of the tractor?
Is the back part of the coop portion solid or meshed?

Thanks! I have 4 birds. The upper portion doesn't have a true floor, just roosting poles with wire underneath. The back side is about 3/4 solid and 1/4 window.

It's only been a couple of days so far, so I imagine it will take at least another week or two. The birds go in and out all day and seem to enjoy hanging out inside periodically. Below is my chicken tractor with coop that measures about 9 1/2' x 6'. The bottom of the elevated coop is open under the roosting poles and there is another window on the back of the coop that you can't see in this picture. Also, the bottom 3' is hardware wire, only the top is chicken wire. I still need to add a wire apron around the bottom to discourage digging predators and I will be adding some more shade with a tarp, but for now I am keeping the whole thing in shady spots in the yard.

A light is a good idea. I have some battery-powered lights in the yard that I could move temporarily. Thanks! Let me know if you have any other thoughts.
IMG_20200313_145342_4.jpg

Sorry, I should have clarified. I don't have pictures of the underside of the coop, but the wire hangs underneath by several inches so they don't actually touch it. The roosting bars are made of wide branches and there is an 8" plywood walkway to ease their movement around the coop, especially while they are still small.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I don't have pictures of the underside of the coop, but the wire hangs underneath by several inches so they don't actually touch it. The roosting bars are made of wide branches and there is an 8" plywood walkway to ease their movement around the coop, especially while they are still small.
I kinda figured that, they should be able to walk on it tho....pics of inside of coop?

could anyone help me with knowing is chickens get too hot? It's 90 here today and tomorrow. Usually it's not that hot 90 95 is pretty hot to us in New York State. Should I place a fan out for them? They are stretching out and Panting a little. Just unsure if they will be OK. They are inside but in a room with no ac. Have over head fan on and a small one just to move air. The little 1 week olds are fine but my meat birds 4 weeks are hot from how they are laying down.

Back
Top Bottom