How to Cull a Chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bleenie, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have a chick that has prolapsed & I have decided that it is just in too much pain and I don't want her to suffer anymore. It's sitting in a towel in front of me riht now, snuggled against me, very warm but shivering because of the pain. it's just not fair to leave it like this. I haven't had to do it ebfore so I just need to know how to "take care of it" in the easiest/quickest way possible so she wont suffer anymore.

I posted in emergencies but got no replies yet.

2. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
  3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    How sad!

The best way to cull a little chick is using secateurs or chicken scissors just behind the head. A quick firm snip should end the poor thing's suffering.

I'm sorry there isn't a better way that I know of... But as you say the little one is very distressed.

Edited to add: sorry bearsfan, I didn't realise you'd posted. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. jemmasgrandma

jemmasgrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have my DH do it for me [​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Awww Bleenie [​IMG]

When I had to do it, I wrapped the chick in a papertowel and then a plastic bag, with its little head sticking out. Standing over the garbage can, a deep breathe and quick snip across the chick's neck with the scissors and it was all over.

I am sorry [​IMG]

6. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    @Erica

You don't have to apologize to me. [​IMG]

I am no authority on this.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  7. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I put it in a zip lock out in the driveway with a shovel tap it three times on the ground and on the fourth time I move the shovel over the chick and give it a hit on the head. It gets the momentom going. It dies instantly and I just pick the bag up and throw it away or bury it

8. urbanfarmette

urbanfarmette Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    Southeastern Wisconsin
  9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Bleenie-so sorry--scissors are the fastest- easiest way to do it:-( I have ahd to do it many time and it never gets any easier-but that is the fastest way-like another poster said right behind its head.

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Thank you all for the replies. I made her a fleece diaper to keep the others away from her behind and she seemed more comfortable but she couldnt even lay down, even when she fell asleep she had to stand because of the pain. I used scissors and a papertowel and let her fall asleep first. it was very fast and I know she didn't suffer anymore. thanks guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by