How to cull chick humanely?

BLaBauve

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Georgia
I have a week old chick that cannot stand. It still eats, drinks, poops etc. It is very alert as well. It became week at about 3 days old and hasn't walked or stood up since.

I think at this point it should be put down - because I'm assuming it will never walk.

What is the best way to do it? I've never killed anything, except maybe a bug.

Thanks

You can send it to me! I would care for it!...
Umm...
That was awkward. Anyways, I'm not sure how to humanely kill a chick. Sorry.

Last edited:
If it is eating and drinking and otherwise okay, it may just be a vitamin deficiency. A drop of PolyViSol (NO IRON) into it's beak twice a day for a week should help...if not completely fix it. If not, then
hu.gif

I agree, sounds like a vitamin deficiency. Try crushing a vitamin B complex tablet into powder and sprinkle it in it's feed for one week. One or two drops of poultry nutri drench orally will also help....it's loaded with vitamins and minerals (except vitamin B complex.) Dont give the nutri drench no more than 3 days in a row, it can cause diarrhea.

Maybe if you start another post on its condition you can get more good advice & suggestions on how to try & help it. But it is your chick and you have the right to draw the line on its care wherever you choose.

If & when you need to cull this or any other chick, I've found the most effective & efficient method is to snip its head off with a sharp pair of scissors. I use the same ones I use for cutting up chicken for cooking. Emotionally it can be difficult because chicks are so cute & dear. To make it easier I wrap the chick in a paper towel, leaving the neck exposed. Then I do the cutting over an open paper bag, or over the pre-dug hole in the yard. I can let the head & the body drop into the bag/hole and not have to look at it.

I wish you & your chick well...

OK, if the chick turns out not to be viable after the vitamins, you have a couple of choices.

#1 holding the body firmly in your hand, bend the neck backwards with a sharp tug over your thumb. This will break it's neck, and may sever its head. Quick, sometimes messy. If you haven't the stomach for that...

#2 Get a pint jar or something similar. Get a can of starter fluid (which is ether - like the stuff they used to use to put people under with for surgery) and a couple of paper towels. Put the paper towels in the jar, spray liberally with starter fluid, and add chick and lid. Chick will go to sleep and will eventually stop breathing. This is easier if you've never had to kill anything before, but more costly. Depending on how hearty the chick is may take a while, but at least they won't feel any pain.

Sounds like you haven't had to deal with this before. Sorry. Sometimes life is cruel.

I'm so glad to see some hopeful responses. I started a thread about the chick the other day and only got one response about it's back possibly being broken. I know it has feelings in it's feet because I've pinched them and it squealed.
sad.png

I have been giving the chick pedialyte for days. I will try the other things suggested.

Thank you!

Quote:
I second the # 2. Another method I read from Cornell down my way is to put the chicks in a 5gal bucket of water then push another 5gal pal down in the pal to drowned them. It will work but I think #2 is more humane. Will

The most humane way is to put them to sleep with ether. Get a spray can of cold engine starting fluid. The stuff you spray in your air cleaner if you have a carburetor and can't get it to start. Available at any parts store. Spray some on a wadded up paper towel and put it in a 1 gallon zip lock bag. Place the chicken in it and zip it closed. The chick will fall asleep in about 60 seconds. Much more humane than drowning and easier on you than cutting it's head off.

Back
Top Bottom