How to Darken Maran Eggs?

Lilorp14

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2014
VA
So just today I picked up 15 Blue Copper Maran hatching eggs, and the breeder and I talked for a while. She told me she feeds her Marans a certain food that darken's the color of the eggshells, but she said she wouldn't give away her secret, and encouraged me to find it on my own. She also hinted it's region-specific, and she's from north-western PA. On my way up I saw a lot of sweet corn and beans, so maybe one of those?

Anyone who might know what it is, don't hesitate to comment. And yes, I am cheating through the power of the Internet. :caf:D

So just today I picked up 15 Blue Copper Maran hatching eggs, and the breeder and I talked for a while. She told me she feeds her Marans a certain food that darken's the color of the eggshells, but she said she wouldn't give away her secret, and encouraged me to find it on my own. She also hinted it's region-specific, and she's from north-western PA. On my way up I saw a lot of sweet corn and beans, so maybe one of those?

Anyone who might know what it is, don't hesitate to comment. And yes, I am cheating through the power of the Internet. :caf:D
I think that she’s full of it, Marans usually lay dark eggs on their own, I wouldn’t worry about it!!

I'm guessing she's full of it too.....how dark are the eggs you got?
Tho there is a nutritive ingredient that may help boost coating color.
Ask here, they would know.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-marans-thread-breeding-to-the-sop.1122465/

So I guess the 'special secret ingredient' doesn't work near the end of cycle?<scoffs>
Lol. Now that I think about it it doesn't really make sense. I just hope that next spring when my birds from her start laying the eggs are as dark as what was in her ebay picture.

Back
Top Bottom