How to deal with a screamer

rayrose

Songster
Apr 17, 2020
Columbia, SC
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 24 week old Blue Splash Maran that screams constantly all day long day. If I can't break her of this Royal PITA habit, I'll have to get rid of her. Does anybody have any suggestions?

She's been laying for over a month and is part of a 12 bird flock, all hens and same age. She's been screeching/screaming for at least 2 months. This morning it started at around 7 AM and continued non stop until about 9, when she went into a nest box, where she is now. Then she'll resume screaming, until I bring treats. But I can't bring treats all day long.
She's the only one that does this, but some of her flock mates are starting to pick up on it. I can't have a bird that screams for 2 hours every time before she decides to lay. Then screams all day, until she gets treats.

Do you know what the egg song sounds like? Do you think that’s the noise she is making? Some hens are loud. Some of mine are far noisier than any rooster. Ultimately there’s probably not much you can do for the noise except grin and bear it or rehome her. It’s okay to rehome a chicken!

I have a 24 week old Blue Splash Maran that screams constantly all day long day. If I can't break her of this Royal PITA habit, I'll have to get rid of her. Does anybody have any suggestions?
I've thought about putting her in a crate and spraying her with a
water bottle every time she screams. Hoping that might train her
not to scream. Is that doable or wishful thinking?
I can't have a bird that screams for 2 hours every time before she decides to lay. Then screams all day, until she gets treats.
Are you allowed to have chickens where you live?

Agree with @aart she's got you trained! Chickens are not real smart, but they can learn to manipulate. Stop the treat bringing when she complains. Don't crate her or spray her - she doesn't deserve any sort of punishment.

Put your chickens on a schedule. Bring out treats ONCE a day at around the same time every day. They will learn quickly they aren't getting anything until that time of day. She may fuss around and try to prompt you, but stick with your schedule.

I understand about the treats, but what about the prolonged screaming before she decides to lay an egg. How do you handle that. I have neighbors all around me, and it's just a matter of time, before I receive a visit from animal control for the noise.
Are you allowed to have chickens?

If she's causing you that much stress, then re-home her or make a nice meal of her.

I have a BCM who is a screamer, and I rehomed another BCM to a friend as she came to POL and started making the same god awful BWAAAHHNK BWAHK BWAHK + groaning sounds. I think Marans are notoriously talkative birds with a set of pipes on 'em, but I did notice that the birds were most talkative when I was outside as they started to associate me with treats.

As others mentioned your bird is probably yelling because she's linked you giving her treats or paying attention to her when she's a loud mouth. It'll be tough, but you've got to ignore her. Go outside and do everything but engage her. You can also try and add enrichment to their lives so they're focused on scratching around or pecking things instead of noticing you. For me that meant letting them destroy a newly landscaped patch of yard (yikes), but the perk is she now has a little chicken playground and has definitely dialed back in the vocal department.

Can you elaborate a little more on the sound she is making? Has she always done this or did it just start? Does she actually make the noise all day or for a few hours a day? Has she started laying yet? Do you have any other chickens and if so how old? Are they the same age as your Maran?

Then she'll resume screaming, until I bring treats. But I can't bring treats all day long.

Unfortunately, you have inadvertently trained her to scream for treats and it's going to be difficult to extinguish that behavior. ts

It might be helpful to look up animal training methods, particularly ones used on parrots.

You might also start by cutting off treats completely for a while then bringing them only when the birds are quiet -- rewarding the good behavior rather than the bad behavior. :)

She's been laying for over a month and is part of a 12 bird flock, all hens and same age. She's been screeching/screaming for at least 2 months. This morning it started at around 7 AM and continued non stop until about 9, when she went into a nest box, where she is now. Then she'll resume screaming, until I bring treats. But I can't bring treats all day long.
She's the only one that does this, but some of her flock mates are starting to pick up on it. I can't have a bird that screams for 2 hours every time before she decides to lay. Then screams all day, until she gets treats.

Back
Top Bottom