How to deal with a screamer

Unfortunately, you have inadvertently trained her to scream for treats and it's going to be difficult to extinguish that behavior. ts

It might be helpful to look up animal training methods, particularly ones used on parrots.

You might also start by cutting off treats completely for a while then bringing them only when the birds are quiet -- rewarding the good behavior rather than the bad behavior. :)
I understand about the treats, but what about the prolonged screaming before she decides to lay an egg. How do you handle that. I have neighbors all around me, and it's just a matter of time, before I receive a visit from animal control for the noise.

I have a BCM who is a screamer, and I rehomed another BCM to a friend as she came to POL and started making the same god awful BWAAAHHNK BWAHK BWAHK + groaning sounds. I think Marans are notoriously talkative birds with a set of pipes on 'em, but I did notice that the birds were most talkative when I was outside as they started to associate me with treats.

As others mentioned your bird is probably yelling because she's linked you giving her treats or paying attention to her when she's a loud mouth. It'll be tough, but you've got to ignore her. Go outside and do everything but engage her. You can also try and add enrichment to their lives so they're focused on scratching around or pecking things instead of noticing you. For me that meant letting them destroy a newly landscaped patch of yard (yikes), but the perk is she now has a little chicken playground and has definitely dialed back in the vocal department.

I understand about the treats, but what about the prolonged screaming before she decides to lay an egg. How do you handle that. I have neighbors all around me, and it's just a matter of time, before I receive a visit from animal control for the noise.
Are you allowed to have chickens?

If she's causing you that much stress, then re-home her or make a nice meal of her.

I have a BCM who is a screamer, and I rehomed another BCM to a friend as she came to POL and started making the same god awful BWAAAHHNK BWAHK BWAHK + groaning sounds. I think Marans are notoriously talkative birds with a set of pipes on 'em, but I did notice that the birds were most talkative when I was outside as they started to associate me with treats.

As others mentioned your bird is probably yelling because she's linked you giving her treats or paying attention to her when she's a loud mouth. It'll be tough, but you've got to ignore her. Go outside and do everything but engage her. You can also try and add enrichment to their lives so they're focused on scratching around or pecking things instead of noticing you. For me that meant letting them destroy a newly landscaped patch of yard (yikes), but the perk is she now has a little chicken playground and has definitely dialed back in the vocal department.
What is POL?

Are you allowed to have chickens?

If she's causing you that much stress, then re-home her or make a nice meal of her.
Yes, I can have chickens, but I can't expect other people to put up with the excessive noise. It's no different than a yapping dog. People have a right to peace and quiet.

Back
Top Bottom