How to determine if it's MG or Coryza

Montenegro

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2022
I'm a backyard farmer and have three sets

1. ISA Brown, they were infected by either mg or coryza (7/26 survived)

2. Rhode Island Red, they were infected a month after the ISA Brown were cured. Now I'm starting to question if this is coryza or mg due to my RIR being close contact and it took a month for them to get sick.

3. Black Australorp, they are 2 months oldee than the first two and one of them showed something in the eye and a wet eye. This is after 2 ¼ months after the RIR are cured.

Now the question is if this is really either coryza or mg, since the flock is always near each other why it took a month, and 2 months for the other's to be infected.

Is there any way to test them for the existance of this? Should I go to the vet?

I'm a backyard farmer and have three sets

1. ISA Brown, they were infected by either mg or coryza (7/26 survived)

2. Rhode Island Red, they were infected a month after the ISA Brown were cured. Now I'm starting to question if this is coryza or mg due to my RIR being close contact and it took a month for them to get sick.

3. Black Australorp, they are 2 months oldee than the first two and one of them showed something in the eye and a wet eye. This is after 2 ¼ months after the RIR are cured.

Now the question is if this is really either coryza or mg, since the flock is always near each other why it took a month, and 2 months for the other's to be infected.

Is there any way to test them for the existance of this? Should I go to the vet?
The vet can do a simple blood test for MG/MS and that is the best way to narrow it down. I don’t know much about Coryza but with MG it can depend on the bird whether they are affected by the virus and can take time to show in the ones with better immune systems. I have seen it attack some of my little dainty bantams hard and fast and run thru them all very quickly and some died, and others in the same flock sharing the same run and coop and waterers that never show any signs of it at all—while others get bubbles in the eyes and then get better after a couple days. It’s a very weird virus and seems to depend on the inherent immunity of each bird. It also presents a bit different in each bird too. Some get eye bubbles, some sneeze, some get super phlegmy, while others don’t show any signs at all and die. It’s super frustrating, but definitely poussin me to have it sort of run the gamut of time acting sick. Mine also seem to get the virus even worse during super hot parts of summer and super wet rainy winter. More stressors equals more sickness. I’m sorry your chickens are sick :-(

The vet can do a simple blood test for MG/MS and that is the best way to narrow it down. I don’t know much about Coryza but with MG it can depend on the bird whether they are affected by the virus and can take time to show in the ones with better immune systems. I have seen it attack some of my little dainty bantams hard and fast and run thru them all very quickly and some died, and others in the same flock sharing the same run and coop and waterers that never show any signs of it at all—while others get bubbles in the eyes and then get better after a couple days. It’s a very weird virus and seems to depend on the inherent immunity of each bird. It also presents a bit different in each bird too. Some get eye bubbles, some sneeze, some get super phlegmy, while others don’t show any signs at all and die. It’s super frustrating, but definitely poussin me to have it sort of run the gamut of time acting sick. Mine also seem to get the virus even worse during super hot parts of summer and super wet rainy winter. More stressors equals more sickness. I’m sorry your chickens are sick :-(
Thank you for the reply, yeah I noticed it too since ISA Brown is more of a weaker immunity breed than RIR and Black Australorp. My rir was dancing with these sick
Thanks for the insights, yeah I noticed it too since my ISA Brown is a breed that is not that hardy that's maybe why it spread like wildfire to them. Thanks~

Thank you for the reply, yeah I noticed it too since ISA Brown is more of a weaker immunity breed than RIR and Black Australorp. My rir was dancing with these sick

Thanks for the insights, yeah I noticed it too since my ISA Brown is a breed that is not that hardy that's maybe why it spread like wildfire to them. Thanks~
You’re welcome! Tylan 50 or 200 or Denagard are both good antibiotics if you decide to treat them. Also I’m not sure what “poussin” was supposed to be or why the phone chose it instead 😆

Both MG and Coryza are bacterial diseases. Infectious Bronchitis (IB) is a virus that quickly infects a flock. Wrinkled eggs are a sign of IB and there is no treatment for IB.

Symptoms of Coryza that stand out are facial swelling and especially a foul odor around the head area. Treatment is preferably Tylan or Baytril in conjunction with a sulfa drug.

Bubbles in eyes are typical for MG. Other than that, other symptoms pretty much mirror all three diseases ie; head shaking, watery eyes, wheezing, sneezing, gurgling, lethargy, runny nostrils etc. Treatment for MG varies but Tylan and Baytril and preferably Denagard is best, if sick birds drink it.

It's also possible for birds to have two different diseases at the same time such as Coryza and MG.

I forgot to add that all 3 diseases are highly infectious and can be carried on your person, clothing, shoes or even tires on a vehicle and easily spread in that manner.
This is why biosecurity is important.

Last edited:
Your state veterinary lab (where are you?) if there is one, should have information about testing and how to submit samples. Adding more chickens so they can also get sick is not the answer!
Mary

I know this is an older thread, but my flock is infected with coryza, and I have a shipment of chicks.........If I feed them medicated feed, will that prevent anything? Thanks!

Read the Merck Manual article about this! Your infected flock are carriers, only doing an 'all in, all out' plan will eliminate this disease from your property. Otherwise, vaccinating chicks with the appropriate serovars present in your flock and then isolating them for weeks before bringing them home is best. They will otherwise get sick, need treatment, and continue this problem.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom