Rhode Island Red - Strange eyes

Chookarama

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2023
Hi All,
Would appreciate some knowledge here, particularly if anyone else has Rhode Island Reds.
We're in the UK.

Ive attached some photos of our 6 month hen.
We got her at 3 months and she was sneezing occasionally. There were also some bubbles in her eyes.
Spoke to farmer we got her from, he assured me it was not 'Mycoplasma gallisepticum' and that she just had a respiratory infection.
He sent me some yellow powder he said was called 'Hydroxx' to add to water for a week which we did do.
(I've googled 'Hydroxx' and cant find any info?)

The sneezing stopped, but her eyes occasionally have small clear bubbles in them (not the white froth you see when you google it)
She started laying ok and is eating, drinking / sleeping as a normal hen would, but just seems a bit 'dopey' (lol) just less alert and slower i guess from our other hen but by no means lethargic.

Our 2 hens have been flocking together for about 2 months now and our other 3 year old hen is fine/ not showing any of these symptoms

In the photos you can see her eyes- They seem very strange to us; that the white around the eyes is really big compared to our other hens, even more so on one side (can see this in the head-on photo)

Can someone weigh in on this please?

Attachments

• IMG_5380.PNG
    IMG_5380.PNG
    3.6 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5382.PNG
    IMG_5382.PNG
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5381.PNG
    IMG_5381.PNG
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
We got her at 3 months and she was sneezing occasionally. There were also some bubbles in her eyes.
Spoke to farmer we got her from, he assured me it was not 'Mycoplasma gallisepticum' and that she just had a respiratory infection.
As @dawg53 stated, MG IS a respiratory infection, and by your description of her classic symptoms, that is likely what she had. (And will remain a carrier for life and be able to transmit to other birds, even if she never shows symptoms again. Glad to know her symptoms have subsided and she is laying.

The yellow powder could also have been tetracycline, which used to be sold in feed stores a few years ago for treatment of MG. Those are classic symptoms of MG, a chronic respiratory disease. It remains in your flock until the last bird is gone. Fortunately it only remains alive on surfaces for about 3 days, so once all birds are gone, it is possible to have a healthy new flock.

Thanks all for the replies- Are her eyes weird? or are we just overthinking it?
The conjuctivas in both eyes appear to be swollen/inflamed, which is likely a residual effect from the respiratory infection.
1690506017564.png

Eye infections can be treated with terramycin ointment, but her eyes aren't necessarily infected. Still, you could try the ointment, which can be purchased online as well as some feed and pet stores, to see if it helps reduce the swelling.

1690506576413.png

Back
Top Bottom