Coryza

Mojo1967

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2022
2 month old pullet I thought had fowl pox. She had it the worst. The rest of flock just closed 1 or 2 eyes. Then got better. They were all in separate coops. Shame on me, I wasn't that concerned about what I thought was fowl pox. So I wasn't super careful between coops. When she started sneezing started her on Tylan 50 for 5 days. She got a little better. Then her eye got bad again I started her on Denegard. I lost 2 4 month old pullets in the this week so I researched on here and found info on Coryza. I believe that she has it. I ordered Trimethoprim/sulfa this morning. My question is should I treat the whole flock when it comes in? With Denegard and the sulfa? And is that done at the same time?
I never sell any eggs or chicks so keeping them should be OK. I know she will have it for life. We have no vets in my area that see chickens.
And thanks for this page I really learn from ya'll experience. All of the above is what I learned from you guys.

Attachments

• 20221219_091429.jpg
    20221219_091429.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 56
I am not sure about the medications, but that eye looks like it needs to be treated asap or she'll lose the eye (not to mention it must be quite painful). It's not difficult to treat, just really gross... You just need to wipe any crust of the eyelid with a some warm water, then press around the eye to expel the pus, then rinse with an eye wash (an antiseptic one is good but even sterile saline solution should be fine as you're going to be treating with antibiotics). There are a lot of videos on youtube showing how to clean out the eye, which I recommended watching so you're somewhat prepared for how gross it will be.

I am not sure about the medications, but that eye looks like it needs to be treated asap or she'll lose the eye (not to mention it must be quite painful). It's not difficult to treat, just really gross... You just need to wipe any crust of the eyelid with a some warm water, then press around the eye to expel the pus, then rinse with an eye wash (an antiseptic one is good but even sterile saline solution should be fine as you're going to be treating with antibiotics). There are a lot of videos on youtube showing how to clean out the eye, which I recommended watching so you're somewhat prepared for how gross it will be.
Thank you.

Only treat birds that are showing respiratory disease symptoms.
Just for your information, Denagard will not treat Coryza. Coryza presents a foul odor around the head area. That's how you tell the difference between Coryza and other respiratory diseases such as Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), Infectious Bronchitis (IB) and Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT.)

Tylan 50 in conjunction with sulfa drugs, including SMZ-TMP (what you ordered) will treat Coryza.
If there isnt a foul odor around the head area, I'd suspect MG. Tylan 50 or Denagard will treat Mycoplasma diseases.
It's possible that birds can have two different diseases at once, then culling sick birds would be best since they will be carriers for life and stress will cause symptoms to reappear and spread the disease(s) to other birds.

Only treat birds that are showing respiratory disease symptoms.
Just for your information, Denagard will not treat Coryza. Coryza presents a foul odor around the head area. That's how you tell the difference between Coryza and other respiratory diseases such as Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), Infectious Bronchitis (IB) and Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT.)

Tylan 50 in conjunction with sulfa drugs, including SMZ-TMP (what you ordered) will treat Coryza.
If there isnt a foul odor around the head area, I'd suspect MG. Tylan 50 or Denagard will treat Mycoplasma diseases.
It's possible that birds can have two different diseases at once, then culling sick birds would be best since they will be carriers for life and stress will cause symptoms to reappear and spread the disease(s) to other birds.
Thank you. I appreciate the information.

Back
Top Bottom