Swollen eyes

RiDaGeckoGuy

Songster
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh county, OK
She will drink but not eat and perches at night she hides in whatever spot she can find all day and when I got her with 2 others my whole flock got fowl pox and her eyes are bad most of my chickens are completely healed from fowl pox so idk
2597E11E-213E-433F-AD4F-9A94535962A8.jpeg
DD77759A-A4BF-4BD8-B01E-486D83374016.jpeg

Are there any lesions or pox inside her beak?

Looks like she's having a rough time and may be being plucked and picked at in addition to the Fowl Pox.
Does she have infection in her ears too?

Gently open each eye and lightly flush with saline to help sooth them. Take a dot of Terramycin eye ointment and put it in each eye.

For the scabs on her beak, combs and wattles, you can paint those with Iodine to help them dry up.

If she's not eating/drinking on her own, work on that. Hydration first, then offer wet mash, it may be easier for her to handle that instead of pellets or crumbles. Scrambled egg may also be enticing.

Let us know what you find in the ears and inside the beak.

Are there any lesions or pox inside her beak?

Looks like she's having a rough time and may be being plucked and picked at in addition to the Fowl Pox.
Does she have infection in her ears too?

Gently open each eye and lightly flush with saline to help sooth them. Take a dot of Terramycin eye ointment and put it in each eye.

For the scabs on her beak, combs and wattles, you can paint those with Iodine to help them dry up.

If she's not eating/drinking on her own, work on that. Hydration first, then offer wet mash, it may be easier for her to handle that instead of pellets or crumbles. Scrambled egg may also be enticing.

Let us know what you find in the ears and inside the beak.
She has no trouble breathing there were two huge masses on her beak and they fell off and left a wound that healed I don’t think there are any interior leasions I will check the ears she ate the other day and I hydrate her daily I will make some mush and scrambled eggs she isn’t picked on because she gets under the coop door I use and hides

No leasons or pox in her mouth her ears look normal. I flushed her eyes with saline and did my day to day routine with her of beak dipping then put iodine on her beak and bumps on Comb and wattles. She wont eat mush or food I don’t have eggs currently waiting for my four tomorrow since I have 4 layers and 3 totally laying capable just decided not to because two hit laying age in fall and then the two year old that stopped till spring. I dont understand her sight it’s really confusing because she can spot me from anywhere and will run over and cuddle next to me but doesn’t notice food and walks into stuff.

No leasons or pox in her mouth her ears look normal. I flushed her eyes with saline and did my day to day routine with her of beak dipping then put iodine on her beak and bumps on Comb and wattles. She wont eat mush or food I don’t have eggs currently waiting for my four tomorrow since I have 4 layers and 3 totally laying capable just decided not to because two hit laying age in fall and then the two year old that stopped till spring. I dont understand her sight it’s really confusing because she can spot me from anywhere and will run over and cuddle next to me but doesn’t notice food and walks into stuff.
Do you have saline you can use to flush her eyes and then ointment to go into the eyes to help soothe them?

Keep working on getting her hydrated and encourage her to eat something.

Update she is doing MUCH BETTER and her eyes are flat and she can open them but doesn’t that much she has been drinking on her own and I noticed her eating a bit. I don’t know how to force feed but she eats some. She also decided that every day to have a routine: Wake up get sun, drink, walk around, go back into coop, hehehe and my favorite part SIT ON AN EGG I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW ABOUT. Well to be fair I should have noticed based on she sat in the same box every night but yeah. She is doing better and has pox on her eyelids that I don’t know how to treat but other than that she is healing. @Eggcessive any ideas?

In her weak state, I would remove the egg from under her, and break her broody spell. That is best done in a wire dog crate with no bedding, and some food and water. She may eat better if she is not worrying about sitting on an egg. A broody may not eat for a day or two after you start breaking them. Tube feeding requires a feeding tube and syringe. KayTee baby bird feed can be used, and very watery ground chicken feed made fresh can also be used. Here is one (18 French) for sale on on Amazon, and there is a smaller 14 French tube above that.
https://www.amazon.com/LBH-Market-Feeding-1-Clear-Teleflex/dp/B095J7PFV5

There are videos showing how, and this link may help:
https://bitchinchickens.com/2022/05/16/gavage-tube-feeding-chickens/

In her weak state, I would remove the egg from under her, and break her broody spell. That is best done in a wire dog crate with no bedding, and some food and water. She may eat better if she is not worrying about sitting on an egg. A broody may not eat for a day or two after you start breaking them. Tube feeding requires a feeding tube and syringe. KayTee baby bird feed can be used, and very watery ground chicken feed made fresh can also be used. Here is one (18 French) for sale on on Amazon, and there is a smaller 14 French tube above that.
https://www.amazon.com/LBH-Market-Feeding-1-Clear-Teleflex/dp/B095J7PFV5

There are videos showing how, and this link may help:
https://bitchinchickens.com/2022/05/16/gavage-tube-feeding-chickens/
Can I use eucalyptus saline since I don’t have normal

Back
Top Bottom