how to determine sex of week old chicks

country chick1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 11, 2013
hi, i have 7 Light Sussex X silkie X Araucana Chicks hatched a week ago, can you determine sex of these by their wings and tail feathers...from what i can see, 3 have what look to be little tail feathers where as the other 4 don't, the same three have longer wing feathers and are round, where as the other four have stumpy wings cut right across....does this signify male and female and if so, which is which????

I am thinking, from what confusing information i have read, that the 3 with the little tail feathers are female. but not 100%, can't get a pic, as mother hen is way over protective and won't let me near them

If they have true araucana in them and you are in the USA, than you could have some chicks come off rumpless, and will never have a tail whether they are male or female.

no not in US, from australia, the araucana lays green eggs, she was given to me as a "maybe rooster/hen" as she had feathers on head, owners didn't know why she was different to their other hens.i have since been told she has Araucana in her....the rooster with her is a lavender Araucana with muffs and beard and tail

Unless you specifically plan your mating to be able to feather sex the offspring, you probably cannot. At a week old, you're better off waiting a few weeks and then posting some photos for us to sex.

ta for that, isn't really a desperate need to know right now, just was curious if the differences in them meant anything

Back
Top Bottom