How to determine the sex of a chicken???

derricknapril

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
Oxford, GA
How do I determine wether I have a hen or a roo when they are a few days old? If that is possible?? Or when is the soonest I can tell??? Thanks

when it crows at 5 months.

There is a thread here somewher that shows pics of the vents on day-olds. But sexing newborns is an art, and the hatcheries get it wrong all the time. It is hard.

I think I saw you said you had silkies. I have heard silkies are a special kind of hard.

Last edited:
I have Silkies. And my soon has one he got from a fleamarket that I am not sure what kind it is. It is still small, and it is black. Thanks

oooohhhh...silkies....you may have to wait forever!! haa haa just kidding...but really you have to wait until Silkies are MUCH older than many other breeds to be able to really tell...and some until they lay an egg or crow...sorry I can't be of more help...ok, any help!!
wink.png

I honestly don't know if there is ANY validity to this but I asked the gal at "Farm & Fleet" if she could tell male from female chicks and she said to briefly dangle the chick in the air - by it's feet. Most females will hang, limply, while the baby roo's will try to pull themselves up. I've done it (successfully) with the two chicks born here but that could have just been luck! Has anyone else heard of this technique?

I agree with silkies it will be a while until you start seeing signs of cockerel or pullet.

I wouldn't do the feet hanging thing, as chick leg tendons are very weak and this can cause them to slip tendons.

I should have mentioned: the gal said you had to do it when they were only a day or two old!

Like I said, I'm not sure if there's anything to it or not ~ Just thought I'd pass it along and was curious to see if anyone else had heard it.

Quote:
Sounds like one of the many old wives tales regarding sexing of chicks...

On a side note, I will take this opportunity to say to anyone reading this, please don't ask advice from feed store employees (or pet store employees) about anything important, or what to use to medicate anything...they are NOT specially trained for anything except how to sell the product on their shelves...

Back
Top Bottom