How to determine who the lead hen is?

mountainbunny

Songster
May 26, 2016
Central Arkansas
I've had a small flock for one year now. We got them at about 1 week of age. 5 hens and one feisty rooster (aggressive enough to be a good protector of his girls but not too much of a nuisance to us). It may seem silly after a whole year of raising them and observing the interactions with each other (which has been fascinating) but I can't seem to determine who the top hen is. Any tips on how to determine? I'm just curious as I'm am a first time chicken owner and love watching them and learning all I can. Thanks!

Hello,

Well...
First, would you mind making a video?
Or a picture? It's normally how they walk or who's their friend. Then you'll know.
I'll try to help! And good question! ;)

-The Angry Hen

I only have internet through my phone so posting video may be difficult. I'll try to post a picture or two later. Oh and the I have 2 BOs that are fairly docile. 2 barred rocks and one mixed breed (that)looks similar to a wellsummer or black sex link from what I can determine from previous posts on here). Feel free to look up my other posts to see pictures of them if that helps. All of them get along quite well, I've rarely seen them have spats with each other. The mixed breed seems more independent and a little more intelligent than the other girls. Maybe she's my lead hen?

I only have internet through my phone so posting video may be difficult. I'll try to post a picture or two later. Oh and the I have 2 BOs that are fairly docile. 2 barred rocks and one mixed breed (that)looks similar to a wellsummer or black sex link from what I can determine from previous posts on here). Feel free to look up my other posts to see pictures of them if that helps. All of them get along quite well, I've rarely seen them have spats with each other. The mixed breed seems more independent and a little more intelligent than the other girls. Maybe she's my lead hen?

Yes, most likely she is.
I will take a look!

If you throw some kind of treat on the ground (like millet, meal worms, etc.) you can watch the interaction. There will be one hen that make subtle "warning" noises to the other hens and they'll back away. She'll be the one that's NOT getting pecked or moved out of the way. My #2 hen is brutal with the other girls when there's food on the ground...but when #1 is there #2 won't touch her...that's how I found out.

I'll watch next time I throw them treats and somewhat happens. I always lute them back in the coop with mealworms. Some times I trick them by shaking the bag and then throw BOSS instead (to save on the worms) and my little mixed breed has figured it out. She won't run into the coop until I toss actual worms in. She will stand there band stare at the bag until I throw actual worms for her. It is cute!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom