How to discourage hens from tearing up my flower bed with bark mulch.

rocking2r

In the Brooder
May 21, 2020
My free range chickens LOVE to scratch around in my flower bed with bark mulch. They throw it out of the bed, and into the porch. It’s a terrible mess ! Can I put something in the bed that will stop this behavior? Maybe something like Sevin? Or something that is safe that will drive the chickens away. I don’t want to encourage my dog to chase them out because that could end up badly.

Watching this..... I have one flower bed in particular they are exposing roots and killing plants.
Rest of them I really don’t care. Junipers, ferns, bulbs of various sorts, azaleas and rhododendrons...... all very much so mature enough to handle some digging/scratching. Only thing they are actually staying away from is the fuchsias

I wish I could plant fuchsias then, but they won’t grow as perennials in our climate. They would be expensive to plant as annuals.

Didn’t figure as much.

The plants I placed are fairly deep rooted. Just trying to get them a good foot hold.

I’ll keep kicking the dirt back up around them. If they make it, they make it.

I fence my chickens out of anything I don't want them to have access to. I tell people I used to have a garden, but now I have chickens, lol. Sorry I don't have better advice for you. Is Sevin safe for chickens? 🤔

I keep thinking there MUST be some kind of plant that repels them. I like the idea of the motion sensor sprinkler but they are pretty costly. So Maybe just setting a regular sprinkler up and using it on the days they are out may be what I need to do

Back
Top Bottom