How to Dose Oxytetracycline

brahmorp

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2020
Hi there! I am looking for advice on how to administer injectable oxytetracycline. I am willing to inject, but oral administration is preferable since I’m having difficulty finding needles and syringes. So, I have two main questions:

1) Is one method more effective than the other? (Injecting vs oral syringe)

2) How do I dose it for each method? I am finding many different recommendations online, and they are all from the last 15 years up until last week. What is the currently accepted dose per chicken?

The form I have is Duramycin 72-200. My local store also carries Liquamycin 72-200, if this is better for some reason I can swap them. Thanks in advance!!

Are you in the US?
I never administer antibiotics without a diagnosis so I can't give a dosage.
However, if I need to get it into the bird quickly, I choose intramuscular injection. If I want it absorbed more slowly, I go with subcutaneous injections.
If going with intramuscular, alternate breast injections daily.

Are you in the US?
I never administer antibiotics without a diagnosis so I can't give a dosage.
However, if I need to get it into the bird quickly, I choose intramuscular injection. If I want it absorbed more slowly, I go with subcutaneous injections.
If going with intramuscular, alternate breast injections daily.
Yes, I am in the US. Thanks for your input!

Both of those are oxytetracycline long acting, so it doesn’t matter which brand is used. Oxytetracycline is one of several drugs that can treat symptoms of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease that is never completely cured. It will not treat a respiratory diease caused by virus or fungus.
Since those 2 injectables are meant for cattle and are given every 3 days, no one can give an accurate dosage for chickens. Some use it daily, either by injection or given orally, while others use it every 3 days. If this was the only drug I could get, I would try giving 0.5 ml or 100mg every 1 to 3 days.

I wouldn't administer antibiotics without a proper diagnosis. What are you treating for?

I am treating for suspected mycoplasma. The bubbly eyes, snotty beaks and sneezing make me think so. I have had one in the vet and on SMZs with no change, the whole flock on Tylosin with mild improvement. I also have Denagard on the way. I’m not set on even using any more antibiotics, but I am looking for dosing info if I do. Evidently there’s a chance it’s viral still. You can check out my post history for a very detailed backstory if you’d like!

I am treating for suspected mycoplasma. The bubbly eyes, snotty beaks and sneezing make me think so. I have had one in the vet and on SMZs with no change, the whole flock on Tylosin with mild improvement. I also have Denagard on the way. I’m not set on even using any more antibiotics, but I am looking for dosing info if I do. Evidently there’s a chance it’s viral still. You can check out my post history for a very detailed backstory if you’d like!
You've probably already have read or been told, but MG is a lifelong chronic disease and all birds carry the bacteria for life. It even spreads to the offspring through the eggs. You seem very knowledgable anyways, so I'm sure you already know this :)

You've probably already have read or been told, but MG is a lifelong chronic disease and all birds carry the bacteria for life. It even spreads to the offspring through the eggs. You seem very knowledgable anyways, so I'm sure you already know this :)
Yeah, I understand. I’m just at my wits end with these birds!

Back
Top Bottom