How To euthanize a chicken humanely

Like what would happen if you gave a turkey a few oxycodones for example? Would it be pain free or is there something I'm missing, like opiates cause pain to birds?
Oxycodones are only administered by prescription in my country (EU-NL).
Injecting ketamine seems a good and almost painless way to end a life too. Vets use it here very often. Because of the ridiculous costs to euthanise a chicken by a vet I was looking for information about ketamine and info about the right dosis.
I tried to buy ketamine just in case I needed it. But trying to buy this was impossible unless I was buying illegal.

Ketamine sounds like a great idea, but I also wouldn't know how to get it. Oxycodones are by prescription here as well, but often times they are prescribed for a dental appointment or procedure. It's common for people to save any they don't use for a rainy day.

Broomstick method, ie cervical dislocation, is the fastest method I know. It's far swifter, safer and easier than decapitation
The problem is that you need practice to do it right and it must be very painful for a short moment.
Gasses or injections that makes a chicken to fall asleep first and kill with overdosing is more humane imho.

I use the broomstick method, which is shown in this video

The only thing that you need to watch out for, is that your feet are secure before pulling. You don't want to take too long, but don't try to make to quick either, because that is when mistakes happen.
I'm so sorry it didn't go as planned :hugs I don't do CD by hand as I am not confidant of getting the right pull.
Thank you for teaching this. This is always a concern of mine. I don't think I could actually unless my chicken was suffering terribly. I appreciate knowing this if I ever have to.

The problem is that you need practice to do it right and it must be very painful for a short moment.
Gasses or injections that makes a chicken to fall asleep first and kill with overdosing is more humane imho.
Just because something lays down quietly to die doesn't mean there's no pain. It could be terrible pain that lasts far longer while the body is paralyzed

I'm sure lethal injection with an opiate would be nice but that's not an option for 99.9% of people

This is a recognised and advised method for swift euthanasia
Not where I live. There is not one vet who uses this method because it’s not the most humane method.

It’s said you need practice to do it swift.

From…https://www.justanswer.com/bird-vet/msdpk-sick-chicken-think-need-euthanize-her.html
img
E.Childress,DVM, Expert
If you have not been trained to cull birds, I cannot recommend you try it at home. Cervical dislocation is an accepted way to cull poultry, but it is not easy to do effectively and painlessly so I do not recommend you attempt this if you have never been shown how. It is not legal or ethical to practice this technique without supervision from someone who knows what they are doing.

Last edited:
Over my lifetime and many raising chickens - I found that the best way to kill a chicken is with a shotgun - you aim at the back of the head - it dies instantly - never knows what happened - put some feed down on the ground so the chicken is eating it and then shoot it - one thing I have found out is that people often try to help a sick chicken and while doing that are only making the chicken suffer - putting the chicken down is the best thing for the chicken - actually people are unintentionally acting on their own feelings rather than the chicken's when they try to keep it alive - that goes with any animal -
It's difficult to do, but it's short and then done. You're only telling the truth. Some folks don't like the truth these days, but if you have love and empathy for your critters, this is one of the most effective ways to help them. I do prefer having a guy to do it. That is true.

I use the broomstick method, which is shown in this video

The only thing that you need to watch out for, is that your feet are secure before pulling. You don't want to take too long, but don't try to make to quick either, because that is when mistakes happen.
I'm so sorry it didn't go as planned :hugs I don't do CD by hand as I am not confidant of getting the right pull.
Maybe it would be better to post a better outcome next time.

Back
Top Bottom