How to feed cracked corn

Gizzards do more than grind like teeth. Humans could chew birdseed a ton, and not get as much nutrition as a bird would. Birds also don’t become diabetic in the same way mammals do.

I just looked at my bag of rolled corn and it's 3.5% fat, which I don't think is too high. The Mazuri maintenance is 3%
ROLLED-CORN.jpg

mazuri _1.png

I really would like to know if there are sources that say corn is bad for birds, and specifically that corn is high in fat. If I’m incorrect I’m absolutely willing to be corrected with data.
I doubt you will find any since most feeds in the US contain corn.

https://articles.extension.org/pages/68432/common-feed-ingredients-in-poultry-diets
From the article:
Corn, also called maize, is native to the Americas and was first cultivated by the American Indians. The corn plant is efficient at converting large amounts of sunlight into stable forms of chemical energy stored as starch, cellulose, and oil. Corn is the grain most routinely used in commercial poultry diets in the United States because it has a good energy content and is easy to digest. The amino acid profile of the protein in corn complements the amino acid profile of the other ingredients, such as soybean meal, typically used in feed. Alternative grains are typically evaluated in relation to corn.

The way I figure cracked corn vs whole corn (it’s all still corn) is the size of the bird. Common sense tells me bigger birds get whole while smaller (chickens) get cracked. It’s not a whole food for a complete diet yet it does provide nutritional value (excess of anything is bad). When it’s bitter cold for all those extra dark winter hours day after day. The fact that corn takes SO long for them to digest gives me a little comfort that they have FUEL to burn to keep warm. Pellets/feed burn quick. Why do I feel the impression that some think corn is bad?? To each his own.

Back
Top Bottom