How to feed eggshells?

Alethea

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Our pullets are seventeen weeks old now, not yet laying, but we are getting ready. I've started saving eggshells, rinsing, baking and crushing them, to give as a calcium supplement. The question is, how do I give it to them? The options seem to be in their grit plate? in their food? in their daily snack? What do you all do?

Frankly, feeding back eggshells is simple or one can make it complicated.

I simply air dry. That's it. They're in a 3 lb coffee can where, once they are dry and brittle, I crush them. You can put them in a side dish, if you want. You can crush them fine and mix them into their feed. You can even leave them in bigger pieces and throw them on the ground. Life's too short to sweat the little things.
smile.png
smile.png

Fred's Hens :

Frankly, feeding back eggshells is simple or one can make it complicated.

I simply air dry. That's it. They're in a 3 lb coffee can where, once they are dry and brittle, I crush them. You can put them in a side dish, if you want. You can crush them fine and mix them into their feed. You can even leave them in bigger pieces and throw them on the ground. Life's too short to sweat the little things.
smile.png
smile.png

Like Fred said but I got a couple rocks in the coffee jug and just give a shake for a minute or so,done.
pop.gif

Last edited:
I put the eggshells in the microwave for a short while and when I have a bunch I put them all in a coffee grinder. I usually mix them with their yogurt.

I do the same. I save them, let them air dry, place them in a can and using the back of my hammer, crush them into little bits and throw them on the ground!

They eat it all!

Quote:
x2-- most times I stick in microwave.....I mix it up...some days they get it in scrambled eggs--(I know the little cannibals...LOL)-- yogart or in their dish...I might throw out in their run for them to scratch around in...I don't really worry about it too much...I just know before I had chickens--I used to buy eggs, eat them and the shells went into the trash. Now basically I have no waste...Chicken--egg--(to me-eat)--egg shell--(to chicken-eat)... then start again....win--win..LOL:celebrate

Y'all make it so complicated! I keep my produce scrap bucket on the counter. When I cook eggs, I just crunch each half shell pretty well and pop it into the produce scrap bucket. It's out with the scraps and the chickens eat them up. They could care less if they're in little bits. I just don't want them in full halves, looking like recognizable eggs.
I've never had egg eating problems doing it this way.

Quote:
Me too--I have a scrap bucket---plastic coffee can--anything we don't eat goes there--and then they lil darlings get for treat when I go down--so if it's safe for them they get it....

Back
Top Bottom