how to feed you hens using a lil green work

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by organikg, Sep 4, 2009.

1. organikg

organikg New Egg

Sep 4, 2009
    hi guys first post here..im just wondering if anyone has any ground that can be made into beds
    with my 2 hens ..iv had to make a 3 meter fence around my vegetable garden but iv realized
    they only go for my silverbeet and kale and wheat

so if you guys have a lil spare ground for use spam it with silver beet and make a very fine flat bed how big is up to you and plant wheat in it
    once the wheat is about as high as a coke can.....rip it out and feed it to you chickens handfuls at a time

pretty healthy stuff...i mean people drink it....wheat grass lol what a load of....its just immature wheat

so there...silver beet is especially good because once u rip the leaves off,....it keeps growing back...just remember to leave it some dignity and dont rip it to shreds just what you need will do

something about chickens n silver beet....they go spastic over it...iv had crops...just devastated and 2 hens trying to figure which way to run while looking at me

if they can get to it..by god they will and it wont ...be...pretty

[​IMG] hope this helps...because...silverbeet..is like catnip to them....i hope all chickens like silver beet...not just mine

2. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Funny you should post this... just yesterday I planted some beets and some kale and some wheat grass to feed to my chickens. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they'll get started before a frost hits.

Do they lick spinach? I planted some of that too because it will grow right into snowy season.

3. organikg

organikg New Egg

Sep 4, 2009
    yep they love there leafy greens
    and
    if you have some space...grow LOADS of sunflowers...
    nd a nice patch of sweet corn

sweet corn to them is crack cocain

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    We pull our weed and throw them into the coop. During the summer our rather healthy sized garden save a lot of feed. The eggs are great as well. This year, I also planeted extra spinach and lettuce for the purpose of feeding the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by