How to find out breed?

Gilman Farm

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2017
Illinois
Hello-
I am a newbie (have been reading any and everything I can so I have happy and health chicks) and I have not been able to find anything on the breeds. I would love to know what I have. I got them when they were about a week old. If anyone has a book, website or anything so I can find out what breeds I have. It would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Welcome!
If you post photos of your birds we can likely get them ID'd in short order. Sorting out breeds can be confusing at first because many breeds look alike and it can come down to leg color (or even color of foot pad), comb type, ear lobe color, etc.

x2
Post a full body picture and the a clear head shot so we can see body feathers and legs and then combs.

Also, you can browse through the feathersite.com which gives a lot of photos of the different breeds, but that will be painstaking as you slog through all the different breeds to see if yours match. (A more direct link, scroll about half way down: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html )

Welcome to BYC and chicken keeping!
Lofmc

Oh ok. Thank you very much! It is dark now, but I will get pictures of them tomorrow. They have changed so much growing up. I think they are all hens. Thank you for helping me with them! :)

x2
Post a full body picture and the a clear head shot so we can see body feathers and legs and then combs.

Also, you can browse through the feathersite.com which gives a lot of photos of the different breeds, but that will be painstaking as you slog through all the different breeds to see if yours match. (A more direct link, scroll about half way down: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html )

Welcome to BYC and chicken keeping!
Lofmc

Hello and thank you for the welcome! :)
I will post pictures of what I have. I do have another question if you can help me. I have two chicks (same color, same breed, etc.) but one has feathers on their legs and the other one doesn't. Does that mean anything?
Also thank you for the link.

Hello and thank you for the welcome! :)
I will post pictures of what I have. I do have another question if you can help me. I have two chicks (same color, same breed, etc.) but one has feathers on their legs and the other one doesn't. Does that mean anything?
Also thank you for the link.

Yes. It means they likely aren't the same breed. A pure bred chicken will look like another pure bred chicken. If the breed is supposed to have foot feathers, then all chicks should have foot feathers.

In mixed breeds, where different breeds are used in the parents, if you breed a foot-feathered parent to a non-foot feathered parent, some of the chicks will have foot feathers while others won't.

Where did you get your chicks? That can help us also figure out what they may be. (Many backyard owners and farms only sell mixed breed chicks or have mixed breed chicks along with pure breed chicks).

We look forward to your photos to help you with identifying your birds.
LofMc

IMG_20170529_184603832.jpg
Hi, I have a rooster that seems to be a mix wondering if you can ID what kind of mix. He was given to me several years ago from someone who has Islandic and Swedish Flower chickens but he doesn't look anything like them. Do you have any ideas

Attachments

• IMG_20170529_184552972.jpg
    IMG_20170529_184552972.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom