How to find out the gender of ur chickens???

here are my 9 chickens all 17 weeks old no signs of roos but only the rode island red if you see the chicken in the pic with black tips
note: my other hen chicken rode island red thats 5 I know for sure is a hen and lays eggs she has black tips on her tail feathers too but I think her coat color isn't as dark as the other younger one

Thanks for the feedback. :) Thats pretty much what we're thinking at this point. Luckily the place we got them will take Roos back and has a place for them since we can't keep them. We'll keep it for a bit longer to confirm. Thanks so much!

[/URL]

I was just doing some research on this question myself. I have my concerns about my Rhode Island Red. Here are some pics. Please let me know if you need more. Can I get an opinion? Chick is about 12 weeks. Thanks!!!!
Roo! Thin pointed saddle feathers in the last pic and comb say boy. looks just like my 10 week old roo.

ok so that starts around this age? like they go from cockerels to cocks?
First off, just an FYI, cock and cockerel are interchangeable terms for a rooster,

We has a roo start to crow as early as 2 weeks but mostly around 6 weeks and a few times not until they are 4-5 months old.

Some start to mount the hens pretty young. We had one in the 2013 hatch that crowed at 4 weeks, had an unmistakably roo tail at 7 weeks and was fertile at just around 12 weeks. It really varies by breed and even from chicken to chicken.

After a while we all get better at picking out the roos but until you have had enough experience you will only be positive of gender the first time your hens lays or your roo crows.

Last edited:
They weren't sexed when I got them 2 mo ago. The lady said you can't tell until about a year when they lay or they crow. But apparently I can find out sooner. I'll load pics tomorrow.

Here are my four in question. The blue one is a silkie/Cochin but rest are pure silkies and they're 5 mo old; trying to sex them so any input would be appreciated.
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom