How to get a free range diet in a coop/run

Haha, I too have hypthetical chicks at this point as well. Final touches on the brooder pen now. I had that exact same question si following closely

The thing about hypothetical chickens is they eat very little, but it can be what ever you want.... they like hypothetical lobster a lot. ;)

As for actual chickens, black solider flies are something that some folks raise for their chickens, there are some other benefits to them as well. I've toyed with the idea in the past, but haven't actually tried it. Here's an article I found on the subject with a quick search:
https://www.urbanfarm.org/2016/05/23/black-soldier-flies/

I would place a raised bed frame in the run. Create a compost pile with yard, kitchen and chicken waste. A feed bag full of horse poop is a good starter. The frame will keep things tidy and easier to harvest the finished soil. Another solution is to buy a small bale of hay (50#) and place it whole in the run. You can sprinkle grain or bugs over the top and they will scratch and peck digging the treats out. If you have the space to store a bale, you can also just give them a flake every few days to pick through.

I don't have real chickens yet, just "hypothetical chickens." I'm very close to finally starting to build a coop and run. I live on a small property in the city. I have done the research on chickens and local rules.

That being said, I want to give them a free range diet, but I have to keep them in a chicken run. My wife does in-home daycare, and letting them run around is out of the question, I can't let the yard get full of chicken poo. I have a section of the yard fenced off, and behind it will be the chicken domain.

So, what'w the best way of letting them scrounge around for natural dinner in a small area? I understand that a diet of grains isn't the best for nutritious eggs, and they're supposed to go find beetles, worms, the like.

I was thinking about buying maybe nightcrawlers and tossing those in the run occasionally. I've also heard about growing maggots in a bit of soil suspended above the run (the maggots fall over the edge to the waiting chickens). Duckweed is something else I want to do.

Are there any other ideas to get some protein to them that I don't know about? I figure I'll have to have some grain, or standard chicken feed, that's fine, I'm just wondering if there are any good other ideas for attracting some extra protein.

Haha, I too have hypthetical chicks at this point as well. Final touches on the brooder pen now. I had that exact same question si following closely

Back
Top Bottom