How to get a free range diet in a coop/run

View attachment 1683386 If you are looking for good egg quality I woul suggest fodder. I do 2 cups black oil sunflower seeds, 2 cups red wheat and half cup lentils. Soak overnight in water drain and put in 10”x 20” flat with drain holes and that one inside one without drain holes put something under the top tray to hold it up a little to drain. Put in front of a window and water and rinse twice a day. Or you could use glass jars. My eggs have dark orange yolks and are excellent eating. I’m feeding 85 grams fodder per chicken per day, I also chop it up for them. I grow it for 7 days and don’t forget the grit.
I am going to do this for my girls!

I don't have real chickens yet, just "hypothetical chickens." I'm very close to finally starting to build a coop and run. I live on a small property in the city. I have done the research on chickens and local rules.

That being said, I want to give them a free range diet, but I have to keep them in a chicken run. My wife does in-home daycare, and letting them run around is out of the question, I can't let the yard get full of chicken poo. I have a section of the yard fenced off, and behind it will be the chicken domain.

So, what'w the best way of letting them scrounge around for natural dinner in a small area? I understand that a diet of grains isn't the best for nutritious eggs, and they're supposed to go find beetles, worms, the like.

I was thinking about buying maybe nightcrawlers and tossing those in the run occasionally. I've also heard about growing maggots in a bit of soil suspended above the run (the maggots fall over the edge to the waiting chickens). Duckweed is something else I want to do.

Are there any other ideas to get some protein to them that I don't know about? I figure I'll have to have some grain, or standard chicken feed, that's fine, I'm just wondering if there are any good other ideas for attracting some extra protein.

Haha, I too have hypthetical chicks at this point as well. Final touches on the brooder pen now. I had that exact same question si following closely

Haha, I too have hypthetical chicks at this point as well. Final touches on the brooder pen now. I had that exact same question si following closely

The thing about hypothetical chickens is they eat very little, but it can be what ever you want.... they like hypothetical lobster a lot. ;)

As for actual chickens, black solider flies are something that some folks raise for their chickens, there are some other benefits to them as well. I've toyed with the idea in the past, but haven't actually tried it. Here's an article I found on the subject with a quick search:
https://www.urbanfarm.org/2016/05/23/black-soldier-flies/

I don't have real chickens yet, just "hypothetical chickens." I'm very close to finally starting to build a coop and run. I live on a small property in the city. I have done the research on chickens and local rules.

That being said, I want to give them a free range diet, but I have to keep them in a chicken run. My wife does in-home daycare, and letting them run around is out of the question, I can't let the yard get full of chicken poo. I have a section of the yard fenced off, and behind it will be the chicken domain.

So, what'w the best way of letting them scrounge around for natural dinner in a small area? I understand that a diet of grains isn't the best for nutritious eggs, and they're supposed to go find beetles, worms, the like.

I was thinking about buying maybe nightcrawlers and tossing those in the run occasionally. I've also heard about growing maggots in a bit of soil suspended above the run (the maggots fall over the edge to the waiting chickens). Duckweed is something else I want to do.

Are there any other ideas to get some protein to them that I don't know about? I figure I'll have to have some grain, or standard chicken feed, that's fine, I'm just wondering if there are any good other ideas for attracting some extra protein.
You may want to think about the wisdom of an Ultra Violet light in the coop once you're aware that chickens can see in the Ultraviolet spectrum.
It may be like having a light on in the coop permanently and thus disturb their sleep patterns.

I have a small urban-ish space for my chickens- MY garden area is 25 x 30 and my 8 girls now will get 16 x 25 of it for 2 coops and a run. They have recently been evicted from the yard and free range because of poop and destruction caused so- I decided to squeeze my garden boxes closer and double their run... just need to transfer the wire now. I like to toss my leaves, mulch and hay for their play. Fruit (papaya, banana) and meat (taste like cooked worms) for snacks plus a little organic scratch. I am moving my double compost tumbler into their run too. That is a favorite haunt for them. The soldier fly larvae drop from the bin along with a big assortment of grubs, maggots and roaches (tropics). When our compost is done cooking I dump it into the 1/2 barrel bin underneath and they can scratch and pick the bugs for a few days. IMG_20190115_093428941.jpg IMG_20190224_073955865.jpg IMG_20190228_175533275_HDR.jpg IMG_20181016_083115813_HDR.jpg IMG_20190302_150229566_HDR.jpg IMG_20190302_150031262_HDR.jpg I think I may grow a few flats of grass and container lettuce and chard to rotate in and out of their run too. They like to rob my planter boxes of greens but if i hand them any they don't want.
Welcome and nice post! Have fun with your new adventures and let us know what works for you. :frow Aloha!!!

Last edited:
Mealworms are easy to grow in a parasite-free situation and make a good addition to a chicken's diet. Same for the crickets you can get from a pet store. Plus, give them a tray of sand with mealworms mixed in and watch them go nuts scratching for the treats.
Please folks, don't forget that things like BOSS and Meal worms are VERY high in fat.
http://www.sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm#freeze

In moderation fine! No chickens don't need to eat "grains" to produce nutritious eggs... what they need is a balanced diet that contains the correct amino acids and other nutrients Without being true free range, I suggest making a formulated ration available first and foremost and ALL other things considered treats or enrichment. This will effect not only your nutritional value of your eggs but also the longevity of your birds.

I love doing fodder and think it's a great option! Sprouting was shown to be JUST as good as fodder...
http://www.idosi.org/wasj/wasj16(4)12/9.pdf

Deep litter or semi deep litter is one of the best suggestions I have seen in this thread for the set up in question.

BTW, lettuce as well as many other things we think of as "healthy greens" are actually mostly water and fairly low in protein and other nutrients.

I also raised red wrigglers when I lived in the city... in a compost bin. It's true worms *can* host parasitic eggs that may take root in your chickens. I have fecal floats ran and despite my birds now having access to a constant supply of wild worms... I have YET to need treating. For ME the benefit outweighs the risk. I also raise meal worms. Kinda cool and fun but VERY SLOW turn around and can be invaded by grain mites or moths.

Happy adventuring! :wee

I'm in the same boat as you, we live in a city in terraced housing with a small backyard. The chickens roost in the old outdoor toilet building and spend most of their time in the garden. Poo isn't a problem as it's good for the ground and disappears quickly. My advice would be to get bantams not large fowl as I think they are much more suitable for an actual backyard space.
Unfortunately I stupidly did some landscaping before we got them so the yard is currently bare. We weren't really prepared for them but as spring comes on (I'm in the UK) I'll be planting grass seed and things for them to eat. Personally I haven't found its been a problem having them free range in the small space and they are happier doing it.
I've got them through the winter on dried herbs including mixed herbs, chamomile, chickweed and spices like cinnamon added to their layers mash. They also get mealworms and mixed corn before roosting. They've laid daily through the snow and ice so I think it's gone fine.

Back
Top Bottom